IGNORED

For Sale - Fast 1973 240z Convertible $10,000

inetwork

Stunning Body Style, which was how Nissan originally designed the 240z. However the safety laws in the United States became stricter and the 240z was only built as a Fastback with a hatch (that commonly leaked in the rain and caused many 240zs to rust out in the back). Fiberglass kits were sold years ago to turn the 240z into a convertible. This is one of those cars. Originally sold in San Diego, it went to Utah. I bought it 10 years ago off Craigslist. During that time I got it running and made it safe to drive. It is registered legally in California. Because it is a 1973, it does not require a Smog Certificate ever. This car has the L28 (280z) engine with its matching 5-speed transmission. It has the stock SU Carburetors with the stock air cleaner and electronic ignition. It has a brand new super high-output Optima Yellow Top battery. The interior is gutted. It has rust in the center of the car underneath (not inside) but is completely clear with no rust at all from (and including) the firewall forward and from the back of the seats rearward. If you want to replace the frame rails then here is where you purchase new ones http://baddogparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1 . The body has bracing to strengthen it throughout. There is a front upper strut tie bar. The previous owner made a lattice brace to tie the rear struts for structural strength. The fiberglass kit does not allow easy access and I would have modified it. With the weight of the Fastback metal removed this car, unmodified, is faster than most 240zs. It is right at the point where someone needs to complete this project. I have decided to not complete the project that I have started on this because I wanted to make this my Daily Driver. I do not want to sell it but it is too far away to complete the project, so I have decided to go in a different direction. This car will only be available during this month. Next month I will not need the money for my next purchase and then it will never be for sale again. If you have ever wanted something that nobody else has then this is your car. It starts and runs perfectly. Headlights work. Brakes are stock and work fine. It is wicked fast and stunning.

Z Car in Calistoga.jpg

Z Rear View - Top Down.jpg

Z Side Front View - Top Up.jpg

Z Side Rear View - Top Up.jpg

2 hours ago, inetwork said:

Stunning Body Style, which was how Nissan originally designed the 240z. However the safety laws in the United States became stricter and the 240z was only built as a Fastback with a hatch (that commonly leaked in the rain and caused many 240zs to rust out in the back). 

Z Car in Calistoga.jpg

I don't think that your statement about how Nissan intended the car to be a convertible is true.  Do you have any sort of reference for that statement?

That muffler tip is huge.

3 hours ago, inetwork said:

the 240z was only built as a Fastback with a hatch (that commonly leaked in the rain and caused many 240zs to rust out in the back).

Z Side Rear View - Top Up.jpg

More humor.  Because we like to have fun here.  Explanation shouldn't be necessary.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I don't think that your statement about how Nissan intended the car to be a convertible is true.  Do you have any sort of reference for that statement?

That muffler tip is huge.

The OP might have gotten that from here: http://zhome.com/History/StylingMatsuo/MatsuoZStory1.htm (Look about midway down on the page.), though I have no idea where he got the idea that the hatch had problems with leaks. Perhaps he only has seen Zs with dry rotted window glass seals. Those will leak.

The price listed is quite a bit on the high side given the condition of the car that is visible in the photos.