IGNORED

Just what the Doctor ordered. 1977 280z

grannyknot

10 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

What's with the hole in the heater core cover? Looks like someone cut the cover at one time? Presumably to use a different heater core with a tube in a different location maybe?

Good question, hoping to answer that today after I clean up the shop, no fun projects until I can see the floor again.

Well there's certainly some questions to be answered there. Both that heater core cover and the main airbox itself look to have been "modified" at some point.

That cover looks like it was melted with a hot poker, and the whole front mounting screw area has been sawed off. You know... The section that originally contained the front hinge for the flapper door at the bottom. Without that hinge, someone might resort to completely removing that door and silicone-ing the whole door shut permanently and cutting a small hole above it instead.     :ph34r:

On the bright side of things... The cars that did not have A/C are a whole lot simpler than the ones that did. You don't have any vacuum controls or related solenoid valves, etc.

Well I don't why the last guy melted that square hole in the cover (with a soldering gun), heater core is stock and everything looks good except that missing flapper door.

Bruce, could you point me in the direction of your engine bay heater valve thread, the valve on this car is corroded solid in the open position and since rubber parts for these are NLA I might as well bypass it completely and mount one in the engine bay where it belongs.

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

Sorry... I wasn't clear enough. There are other problems besides the soldering iron melting. The missing flapper door at the bottom won't do you any good without the front hinge mount. It's supposed to be part of the heater core cover as well, but that corner of the cover has been gnawed off. And there's material removed from the main air box in the same area. Like the front screw to hold the heater core cover in place stripped out and they chewed off the corner of the cover and air box in that area in a non-gentle way to get that cover off. Speculation.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I can post some pics.

In any event, I believe the main air box could be salvaged, but I think you're in the market for a replacement heater core cover. Or... You could just silicone that side flappy door shut with silicone.

Here's the thread about installing the water control valve in the engine compartment. The pic links are all dead because of photobucket's extortion, but I'll upload new pics when I get a few more minutes. In the meantime... Here's the link:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/44009-heater-water-****-valve-relocation-project/

Odd, I was missing the passenger side flapper door on mine when I got it and wound up buying a whole heater box just to replace it.  I do have that side panel plus a few other pieces,  but not the passenger side door (I used that),  if you can't find one there.  Since our countries are at "war", I don't know how hard it would be to ship there. ?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I reloaded the pics in the heater valve relocation thread. I'm sure there are easier ways to get a new valve in there, but here's what I did:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/44009-heater-water-****-valve-relocation-project/

All the pics are kittens yelling at photosuckit.

I got the engine pulled today and a chance to pressure wash some of the crud out of the engine bay, lots of work to go.  I found a place that will yellow zinc plate everything I can fit into a 5 gal bucket for a $100 so after I put everything from the 280z in there I started to go through my collection of spare Datsun bolts, then all stray metric hardware. I even went through an old box of engine bay work lights that I have p/u over the years at swap meets.

Tomorrow is our local Zfest so gave the 240 a wash, clay bar and wax.

IMG_0930.JPGIMG_0931.JPGIMG_0921.JPGIMG_0926.JPG

• Like 2