IGNORED

Quest for More Power

To address the wet plugs issue and to enjoy the car a little more. Mainly occassional driving and few autocrosses. I’m not well versed on the technicals. Work will be performed by a skilled friend. Plan is to overbore, use larger pistons, steel 280 valves, regrind a 280 camshaft into a stage II profile, rejet the Weber 40s to 42. I could use your suggestions. Baseline is my 260z motor with Weber40’s, headers. Want to keep the budget as low as possible but since I’m already diving into a rebuild I might as well hope for about 100hp increase. Am I dreaming? I’m hoping to recreate the adrenaline pumping I get from my now gone aircooled 911. Thanks

12/70 2.6 block E88 heads Mallory DCOE40 3/2 Twice pipes Tokico 1, 3/4 in sways, ext oil cooler

31 minutes ago, wil84911 said:

since I’m already diving into a rebuild I might as well hope for about 100hp increase. Am I dreaming? I’m hoping to recreate the adrenaline pumping I get from my now gone aircooled 911.

Probably more effective to just buy an L28 and modify it.  It's already bored, and has the head with bigger valves.  250 HP is asking a lot, that's about 1.5 HP per cubic inch.  Like a 600 HP 400 CI engine.  But people say it can be done.  You'll need to go big on the cam and have the head ported, probably.

200 HP would feel like a lot though, which you can probably get with just a big cam and good exhaust system, on an L28.

Here's a fairly recent discussion on the topic, with some good outside links embedded.  Building these old Datsun engines isn't the same as building an old chevy small block engine.  Parts are hard to find and machine shops aren't used to working on them.  With a small block chevy engine there are five suppliers for anything you might want to do.

Thank you Zed. I did find some info about LD28 crank. I am going over my head. I agree theres too much involved. I need to be content. I will stay with my orig plan.

12/70 2.6 block E88 heads Mallory DCOE40 3/2 Twice pipes Tokico 1, 3/4 in sways, ext oil cooler

• 2 weeks later...
Rebello claims to get an additional 90 hp out of a 2.4.  I suspect a person would notice that in a 2,300 lbs car.

Stroker interests me but too pricey. Decided on a pretty normal rebuild. Picked up an N42 block with an N47 head while I get to drive the car for the summer. Will prob do stage 2 cam and porting/polishing.

Reduce the weight of your Z and get the feel of added HP.......

Agree. Did that to an aircooled 911 but I kinda regret it. Though this isn’t a perfect car it is mostly unmolested so I’d rather not. Thanks

For fun here’s proof of ‘car and driver’ weight loss. I’ve since gained a few lbs back LOL. Dropped about 225 off car, dropped 45 off driver. default_laugh.png

IMG_0089.JPG.19a3a568e676aac72f5be5ebb44e6f79.JPGIMG_0088.JPG.0713fc333786dee27b7b1d06a079e58e.JPGIMG_0087.JPG.861dcfc858fcad52bbf2c1ce5cccb120.JPG

• Like 2