IGNORED

1975 280z getting crushed for scrap metal

Av8ferg

JSM is member Jeff in post #7. :)

It could be like my '77.  It has an N42 block, '75 thru '78 have them, and a replacement N42 cylinder head from a '75.  The vented hood and the rear trim piece ZedHead mentioned are common markings for '77 and '78s.  The door tag is a definite way to tell.  They changed years in September so a 09/'76 would be a '77.  That's what mine is.

Yes, the N42 block was used up to mid-1980 I think, through 1979 for sure.  The heads changed to N47 heads sometime in 77.  That might be the confusion.  N42 heads were used in 75 and 76 cars.

But, my 76 has a 78 engine in it.  Because I put it there.  And I have an 81 engine in the garage for if that one fails.  Engine swaps are easy, and that car has seen some work done on it.

If the power brake booster is dry and clean inside, I would be interested in that.

The U-Pull yard near me charges $19.50 (with core) for a booster. If he's anywhere near that and it's clean inside, I'll take it.

I'll pick it up when we meet in Atlanta at ZCon!   :)

I don't know if you have already been back, but easy things to grab that will always come in handy are:

- The fusable link blocks on the passenger strut tower. Take as much of the wire wires as possible. Makes it easier to splice into another harnes. (Not just the link, the blocks and the white wiring.) Hint: I would buy them if they are in good condition. One of mine is partly melted.

- The ECU behind kick panel drivees foot. 3 screws and the plug and its out.

- The TIU (Transistor ignition unit) located passengers side kick panel. Two screws and cut wiring harness.

- Engine fan and radiator shroud if its still in good condition

- Rear number plate light. Two screws and a plug

- Fuel pump + mounting hardware.

Good luck salvaging

Gents, thanks for the info.  I’ll grab all that stuff unless they charge me an arm and leg and if you want it I’ll get it to you. 

BTW when is ZCon next Atlanta.  

Working on my Z today.  Installing the fuel tank that was refinished.  Hopefully she’ll fire up. 

• Like 1

Well, not going to be able to install tank today because the place doing the work did a poor job and has to retreat it.  They missed a big spot and never inspected their work.  I found it on my inspection.  They also lost the drain plug ?.  I can’t determine its size, appeared to be an M8 but not sure on thread pitch. I found the part number and now have to order from JP-carparts.com.  $15 after shipping from Japan. Probably need to wait 10 days for that plus, they need 4 days to retreat tank.  I’m pissed, especially after paying over $350 to have them do the tank work. 

They were apologetic. I bet the salavage yard has it but it’s 90 miles away and I have to fly out this afternoon.  I need a full day there to strip that car.  I’ll grab it next week when I go there, good call! 

2 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Gents, thanks for the info.  I’ll grab all that stuff unless they charge me an arm and leg and if you want it I’ll get it to you. 

BTW when is ZCon next Atlanta.  

Working on my Z today.  Installing the fuel tank that was refinished.  Hopefully she’ll fire up. 

http://zcon.org

While Im waiting for the tank I’ve decided to replace my clutch master cylinder.  What a pain to get that pin to the pedal back in.  You need really small hands to get that puppy in, I’ve been fighting it for almost an hour.  No luck yet. Anyone have a trick?