IGNORED

1975 280z getting crushed for scrap metal

Av8ferg

The edges of my pedal box are mangled by a PO who had that same problem, trying to make more space with a pair of pliers.  I still had problems with that pin.  I ended up tying a thread through the hole in the pin, then using a thin wire to fish the thread through the holes, eventually pulling the pin up to the holes by the thread, getting it to "stand up", and pushing it through the holes with a screwdriver.

Overall, an intricate operation.  More planning than doing, in the end.

8 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

While Im waiting for the tank I’ve decided to replace my clutch master cylinder.  What a pain to get that pin to the pedal back in.  You need really small hands to get that puppy in, I’ve been fighting it for almost an hour.  No luck yet. Anyone have a trick?

could you mark where the lock nut is now then back it off to give you some more play with the rod?

I've used these I stole from my doctors office.  Needle nose vise-grips would work too, or regular needle nose pliers with a rubber band around the handles.  Good luck!

Image result for hemostats

The glass comes out relatively simple. I would most definitely take all the glass as well as the doors and hatch. The hood if it isn't in bad shape. Good Luck.! Man I wish I was there.

I got that little bugger in there. Pulled the seat out and then put my head lamp on so I could free up a hand.  I just got lucky.  I tried the vise grip approach but there is a vert hose that gets in the way. 

I head to the salvage yard next week. I like the idea of getting the cars glass.  My windshield has some serious scratches from where a PO ran the wipers without a wiper blade.  Not sure if that windshield glass is easy to come by.  I don’t think Safelite will have one. ?

Be slow and patient on the removal. I would probably pull the entire hatch. Take it home and put it as flat as you can get it and take a utility knife to slice through the rubber molding and it will come right out. Take your time so as not to flex it. 

I got that little bugger in there. Pulled the seat out and then put my head lamp on so I could free up a hand.  I just got lucky.  I tried the vise grip approach but there is a vert hose that gets in the way. 

I head to the salvage yard next week. I like the idea of getting the cars glass.  My windshield has some serious scratches from where a PO ran the wipers without a wiper blade.  Not sure if that windshield glass is easy to come by.  I don’t think Safelite will have one. ?

5 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

I like the idea of getting the cars glass.  My windshield has some serious scratches from where a PO ran the wipers without a wiper blade.  Not sure if that windshield glass is easy to come by.

I wouldn't make any assumptions about the glass availability. A buddy of mine just replaced his this past winter and paid a very reasonable price for a brand new one. I don't remember the cost, but I do remember that I was surprised it was as low as it was.

More expensive than a used one from a junkyard, I'm sure, but still way less than I would have expected for new.

13 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Woah, I think my buddy paid less than $200 for his glass.

Not sure if it was NOS sitting in a warehouse somewhere, or if someone is still making them new. But I'm positive he didn't pay anywhere near $600!

MSA has the $600 one I read someone had bought.  There's cheaper ones for sure but thinner I think.  I bought a cheap one for my Nissan pick-up and it was thinner glass.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/30-3051