IGNORED

More living room furniture

A little of both. The head is pretty dirty. I guess at the end of the day I really like knowing for certain everything's in good order. But mostly its for learning. It did sit for quite a while. As I uncover the small amount of grime that is on it I'm beginning to feel like I really could've just popped it right in something.

But there's also that satisfaction of when it fires up and you're driving it down the road knowing you had it apart, and put it back together.

It won't break the bank too bad either, buying parts over time.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When it comes to things like head gaskets and rear/front seals, I feel like spending a few extra dollars is more than worth it..

Before I pull the trigger on Fel-Pro's head gasket and rear/front seals(which comes with side seals), should i stop and consider getting those directly from Nissan?

The Fel-Pro head gasket is multi layer steel, and I have their rear seal/side seal kit in my other car.  As far as i can tell it isn't hemorrhaging oil.  I lubed the outside of the seal before installation as advised in some other thread here. 

It seems like the entire engine gasket set from Fel-Pro is the way to go, with maybe getting a Nissan head gasket.  Just to be safe. 

Rock Auto also has a Hitachi oil pump for $40 I'll be getting. 

I used the fel pro rear main and side seals on the first motor which was a 2.8, they don't leak but those side seals are crap compared to Nissan's in my opinion.  I used Nissan on the 2nd 2.4 motor.

side seals, 12289-W0400  $1.50 each from my parts guy

rear crank seal, 12279-2B500  $30 from my guy

I've got more Nissan numbers if you need them.  I went with Nissan on all the big stuff, rear main, oil pan, manifold.  But the Fel Pro kit for all the other small stuff because it's so cheap.  A lot of the parts come with their own gaskets, oil pump, water pump, timing kit.

I can't remember which head gasket I used.  I do remember it was different for the 240 compared to my 280.

Oh yeah, turbo head bolts.  9 short ones 11056-P7600 $4 each

5 long ones, 11059-P7600 $5 each.  $60 plus tax for all of them.  I can not remember if they came with washers or not, sorry.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...