IGNORED

Ideas for getting better Microfiche pictures

zKars

Hey gang

So I'm working on a little project (don't enough irons in the fire....) and was wanting to bounce some ideas off a few of you

So the blow up parts pictures  in the clubs parts fiche CD pdfs are, as we all know, well, pretty poor quality. So poor that reading the numbers is often impossible.

carpartsmanual's version of the fiche is better, but still not perfect. carpartsmanual on the left, same pic from the fiche CD's. Not the worst one I can assure you.

carpartsmanual_example_picQual.JPGfiche_example_picQual.JPG

I want to get a set of these pictures that is better quality.

One idea would be to have the fiche re-digitized at higher resolution.

Another would be to perhaps make a project where someone with the Nissan FAST program can extract better quality pictures.

There are 256 such pictures (from carpartsmanual), so the project is not huge, just not trivial.

Looking for other ideas and suggestions. Put it out there.

If I can get what I'm thinking of doing, working, it will be worth the effort to get better pictures, trust me.

Let's try not to make this about finding out what I'm working on, just on getting better pictures.

Edited by zKars
  • Like 4

I wonder what my therapist would say about this. a former Nissan Partsman ( 17+ years ) I often have Dreams ( Nightmares ) involving microfiche. Often involving being very busy and can't find the right Microfiche, having the Microfiche but can't find the section I'm looking for or not being able to read the Microfiche because it's all scratched and faded. Juts had another weird one last nite. What does it all mean Doc :huh:

• Haha 1

There are alternative pictures in the Fairlady parts manual too.  (see the Nissan Parts Catalogue here: http://240260280.com/Docs/index.html)

I have a project in the back ground to do this Jim.  I'll ring you to discuss. I have lots of space on my 240260280.com website and planned to put drawings there.

Here is an old effort before carpartsmanual I did way back in 2004: http://www.240260280.com/legacy/techtips/explodedviews/280z/index.html

Edited by 240260280

Imagine if you could click on any number on those pictures and then be hot linked to the part number(s), item listing and details, or the opposite. Maybe search all the parts suppliers web sites that might have that part number to get availability and pricing. Click on a bolt and get a picture of a real one, it's size and torque specs. Let your mind imagine what's possible.....  It's so much more than supplying a picture to look at.....

• Like 2

ChickenDude, you seen the actual fiche images through the native viewer.  Is the quality of what is on the fiche themselves crap so that no matter how much you magnify it it can't get better, or do think the scans we work with were just not done at high enough resolution? I see the carpartsmanual images are at least twice as good as the fiche CD scans so there should be something

I have tracked down a set of NOS fiche, I think. Haven't seen them yet but I think there is hope.

Getting serious again. With a new Fiche and a proper digital scanner, you'd probably get much better resolution than the POS back projector systems we had back in the 70's and 80's.  Focus was often wonky on those.  Got to be even worse when the Fiche got all scratched and faded with age. With NOS fiche  it should be possible to get better resolution than the native viewer.  

Edit: You can also sharpen and digitally enhance the scans, which should improve quality greatly. 

Edited by Chickenman

3 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Here i've got a copy of the fiches Datsun 240z / 260z  s30  (euro version ?)

I'ts readable...

Fich0001.pdf

Fich0002.pdf

Fich0003.pdf

Fich0004.pdf

Fich0005.pdf

Thanks for posting.  I could never figure out how to get the parts fiche files to load properly on my computer.  Lots of interesting things in these files.  Who knew, for example, that a headlight washing system was offered on S30's destined for the Swedish market?

Our microfiche images were created about 15 years ago using an external service that I paid.  At the time, they had some pretty good equipment, but, I also spent about 50-60 hours cleaning up the final images you see today.  I'm sure the scanning technology has improved since then, so, this could be looked at again.  The microfight was in new at the time (donated by Nissan) and never used by a dealer.  I still have them, and with today's scanning technology we might be able to get better images.

We had a project going a few years ago to collect and store all documentation about the early model cars.  Unfortunately, that project didn't go far when one of our leaders had a stroke.  @Victor Laury was a great guy and had collected quite a few documents and had them scanned.  Anyway, since then he has passed on and I fear the documents are lost.  Although we do have a lot of documents collected by members, we could start this project again and have them posted on the site.  I still have a number of documents that were donated to me directly and still need to scan them and post to the files area, too.

Anyhoo, if you guys start looking into this more seriously, I think it's a great idea for club members.  Instead of keeping them on your own sites, I highly recommend also putting copies into our files area as well.  Personal websites and cloud shares often get lost in the shuffle, or, can go away forever if (god forbid) a health issue arises.  So, please be sure to post them here if you find something good!  I have long term plans to keep this website going even if something happens to me.

Mike

• Like 2