IGNORED

Bringing a 1977 Z back life

Av8ferg

ECU question while I wait for my new relay.  

I have a box of parts that came off a 78.  One of the extra parts is an ECU.  Can you put a 78 ECU on a 77?  

I have to dig more in the FSM to confirm my findings once the new relay is in but I’m becoming suspicious of the ECU.  

Here are pics of the ECU part numbers.  

Green parts label is from the 78. 

8D5E4827-0D9E-4DE4-9B93-55E4E4E0127B.jpeg

10570C81-71A0-4FFA-AAF8-72A2606F43B2.jpeg

Huh...my car is a 5 speed.  The one with the pink sticker came out of my car.  I don’t know the history of this car; anything could have happened over the past 40yrs.  I know someone parked it in 1999 after it was repossessed and it hasn’t been registered or titled since.  Something stopped this car from running and no one put the time in to figure it out.   It’s my mystery now. 

Everyday Carbs sounds good, but I’m committed to figuring out this problem.  I wish I had more time but life is busy. 

Pretty sure I've used both of those ECU numbers on my car with no problems.  1976 4 speed coupe.  I've collected several over the years and run them for a while to be sure that they work.  I have a spare behind the driver's seat, ever since one failed on a test drive.

But the ECU is at the end of the line for injector power.  So until you confirm power to the injectors, you won't know what the ECU is doing.  The relay controls power to the injectors, and the ECU lets it pass through.