IGNORED

Bringing a 1977 Z back life

Av8ferg

I deleted my stuff because the tube coupler from the exhaust to the intakes underside tunnel had gotten loose long ago and rotted a hole in the aluminum creating a huge vacuum leak. Plus as Dave says above just to lessen potential failure points. We have no smog test here and it gave me a lot cleaner looking topside. I'm not a bells and whistles type, simple is my preference.  Plus my thermal vacuum switch was broken just like yours and I wasn't able to figure out a way around that so I started "the rippin' and the tearin'" LOL

• Like 1

think he is in TN, in FL there are NO vehicle inspections. grab some chicken wire and duct tape and you are good to go with pretty much any car repair. "the rules are different here" state motto.

that being said, my setup is completely stock, I like keeping everything as oe as possible. I was driving around in a parking lot the other day, guy says "you got a price on it" my response is "taking it with me to the grave" him, when you gonna die!

:)

• Like 1

He lives in north Carolina.  He stays with with co workers in Memphis in a trap house. LOL

Sorry Ferg but I think highly of pilots and have a half arse good memory. 

If I hadn't cut my foot off at 16, almost, I would've been in the military and gone for the jockey seat. But things happen and here I am wishing I was able to talk to the controllers.

I'd look forward to meeting you at ZCON this fall if you can make it.

So, about that thermal switch thingie... Yes, it's all related to the EGR system. When the engine is cold, it blocks the vacuum to the rest of the system (thereby disabling it), and once the engine warms up, it will allow the rest of the system to operate.

So, it depends on how much you care about the EGR system, but I can give you one other piece of data to help make your decision... Here's a replacement thermal vacuum switch on rockauto for $4.15. It's a mfgr close out. Buy two.  :)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3647541&cc=1209260

• Like 1

As it should be.

The EGR runs off a ported vacuum source in the throttle body that is only active at a relatively low pedal position. Because of this, the EGR is only activated at "light cruise". It  is completely disabled at both idle and anything beyond that light cruise position.

In other words... The EGR is designed to incur no performance impact.

another financial reason to keep it intact, if you look at your car as an investment which I do not but understand some may, I suspect the minimal cost to maintain originality of ALL systems is something that pays off in the market. You can spend money to delete things or mod things that end up detracting from the value of the car, again based on current market driving forces. Yes a well modified car can bring in more money but generally not to the point of offsetting the cost of the mod. I don't think most of us here care much about the financial reasons for moding or not moding a car. Just something to consider. Think gas monkey garage, a lot of well done mods, but will the cost be recovered, prob not, would have been an easy flip with a profit, from a business point of view a loss, perhaps from a marketing point of view a gain.

darn it Jim I am an accountant not a salesman (in my best Dr McCoy impression).

Edited by Dave WM

Great comments.  Capt Obvious made me LOL.  I will bring you that brake booster when I get permission from my wife to go. See, she hate cars and anything that take time away from her.  Thanks for the link to the part...buying 2.

Yeah I live in Coastal NC but work in Memphis.  The car is in Memphis.  Plan when I bought it off eBay about an hour south of Memphis was to getting it running and then drive it back to N.C. That plan had turned into a partial nightmare.   I don’t get a lot of hands on time with the car and when I do and find a problem I have to order parts and wait another cycle to get to attempt to get it running.  The car is in a garage at my crash pad and the owner isn’t thrilled about how long it’s taken to get running.  He especially enjoyed the fuel leak when I removed the tank and stained his expoy floor.  So I’m motivated to get this car road worthy to say the least.  I appreciate all the help guys. 

Edited by Av8ferg
  • Like 1