IGNORED

Cody's Goon

Patcon

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

Right now were running the stock 510 carb which I believe is a 2 barrel vacuum secondary carb with an accelerator pump

So one throttle plate and pumping the gas adds fuel...

It also has a glass sided float bowl so you can instantly see if the carb has fuel

So, a plain old carb like most of us raised on domestic cars learned on?

Still, if the throttle plates open the engine should gain RPM.  If there was a blockage in the fuel supply it would go lean and pop or stall.  So timing does seem like a possibility.  Retarded probably.  I learned about retarded timing back when I was just learning the "time by ear" method.  My ear was bad and timing got way off.  Turned a 400 CI Pontiac engine in to a gutless wonder.

14 hours ago, Zed Head said:

So, a plain old carb like most of us raised on domestic cars learned on?

Still, if the throttle plates open the engine should gain RPM.  If there was a blockage in the fuel supply it would go lean and pop or stall.  So timing does seem like a possibility.  Retarded probably.  I learned about retarded timing back when I was just learning the "time by ear" method.  My ear was bad and timing got way off.  Turned a 400 CI Pontiac engine in to a gutless wonder.

Yes, basically. It is possible it is a timing issue I probably need to check the vacuum advance and the centrifugal weights too. I don't know how we would watch timing in real time since it is such a sporadic issue

• 3 months later...

Ok

So some updates:

We have gotten his car running. We pulled the old 2 barrel carb and replaced it with a set of SSS SU's that I rebuild and replated. The car runs much better and accelerates much better. But, since no good deed goes unpunished, we have a new problem! We are loosing water and over heating! The manifolds have a water passages from the head and connect to a pipe going around the front of the block.

What is the best way for me to narrow down the leak? This is a major leak, like a gallon of water in 10 miles!!! There are no visible leaks that we have found. There is no carpet in the car right now, and we aren't seeing any water in the floor board. My thoughts are manifold passages leaking into the exhaust, a head leak or an external leak that we haven't spotted yet. Any ideas on the best way to go at this? I hate to pull the manifolds again if avoidable. You would think that amount of coolant into the exhaust would be noticeable. I would think it would steam like crazy and probably smell sweet to boot!

A quick check would be to look at plugs so see if a chamber is drinking it... also check oil for chocolate milk.

You can rig up a rad cap to take an air line (or buy one of those pressure test kits with one) and pressurize the system with 13psi.  You may be able to hear the leak.

A gallon just disappears? It sounds like that thing has become a water pump. Pull the plugs and crank it. Check the oil level. Hope that it’s burning because otherwise somewhere there’s a lot of unwanted juice. Did you check the manifolds, gasket, and head to make sure every hole aligned?

As a side note, you’re going to be in very good company at the Mitty. Make a list of questions, take pictures, and get connected with the Datsun cognescenti ASAP. Knowledgeable, fun people there! Feast on the resources.

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

A quick check would be to look at plugs so see if a chamber is drinking it... also check oil for chocolate milk.

You can rig up a rad cap to take an air line (or buy one of those pressure test kits with one) and pressurize the system with 13psi.  You may be able to hear the leak.

I figured checking plugs and compression test would be next. I checked the oil, a little low but doesn't look milky

55 minutes ago, NVZEE said:

A gallon just disappears? It sounds like that thing has become a water pump. Pull the plugs and crank it. Check the oil level. Hope that it’s burning because otherwise somewhere there’s a lot of unwanted juice. Did you check the manifolds, gasket, and head to make sure every hole aligned?

As a side note, you’re going to be in very good company at the Mitty. Make a list of questions, take pictures, and get connected with the Datsun cognescenti ASAP. Knowledgeable, fun people there! Feast on the resources.

I did not check the gasket overly close. I agree that's a lot of fluid going somewhere fast!

Yup, I thought the Mitty would be a good place to make pictures and pick some people for ideas.

It overheated on him the other day, because he forgot to refill it after installing the SU's. So we filled it and he ran it. He drove it 8 miles today to a friends house and it overheated. Was a gallon+ low on water. Filled it and drove it the 8 miles home. Almost 2 gallons low. We ran it for a while tonight with it rev'd and the water level didn't move. There seems to be a tiny bit of oil fill in the radiator...

Edited by Patcon

I don't know how easy it is see the rear of your engine but are there any water trails on the block at the back of the head?  Just throwing that out because that's where I had head gasket leak on my L28.   Water would just disappear and the engine would start to get hot. I believe it would  only leak with the engine at temp.  Yours would probably be more obvious.

Charles, I can introduce you to Rob Fuller who owns the Z Car Garage (http://www.zcargarage.com) in San Jose. He's here working on the BRE car among others. You might be able to pick his brain. He loves 5 & dimes, too.

• Like 1