IGNORED

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

duffymahoney

I will look into the driveline stuff more. 

Diff is prepped for powder coating. Inside is clean and empty. I sealed it to minimize sand and powder getting in. I will then burn the powder off the aluminum parts and then wire wheel smooth and vapor blast to look perfect. 

B76A0836-BE1C-48EE-88D5-527C0EEE312A.jpeg

E4FAA1B2-05C0-4611-8488-3D5A1D7E3781.jpeg

9B3E1E5C-E66D-4B2D-9A30-86724C1C9083.jpeg

1 hour ago, duffymahoney said:

. I will then burn the powder off the aluminum parts

Is this normal practice or your own idea?  Seems messy.  You could probably just rub your greasy hands over the areas you don't want the powder to stick and it would peel off.

Powder can't go some places and it sucks to remove.  The more time I spend prepping the better.  The surface has to have zero grease or it ruins the powder coating.  This is just a easy method to make sure it comes out nice.  They do the same thing with engine blocks.  

2 minutes ago, duffymahoney said:

The surface has to have zero grease or it ruins the powder coating. 

That was my point.  Ruin the bonding surface if you don't want a bond.  Just some thoughts.  There are other ways too.

http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2013/08/masking.html#.XKOQEZ7QiiQ

http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2013/08/powder-coat-masking-part-ii.html#.XKOQDp7QiiQ

Powder coating masking is the worse, it's this terrible rigid tape.  It works, but not nearly as well as this.  If you can sacrifice something to do a firm mask off, it will turn out awesome.  

This is just my experience in years of powder coating car parts. I am sure there are other ways.  My powder shop charges me a lot less if I do the prep/ masking.  

Edited by duffymahoney