IGNORED

Jai's Status

Mike

Just now, Dave WM said:

looks like door alignment issues. As stated before, 1st thing to check is hinge play, if that is sloppy need to fix, next would be to adj the door hinge bolts and/or striker plate. body shop should be able to deal with this.

Upon enlarging the door hinge, it looks like it may maybe coming apart.  See what you all think of this photo with the area circled.

Thank you all...

Jai

img_1510765027983.jpg

the standard test is to open the door, and see if you can lift it up, grab from the bottom outside pull up. Should be little to no "slop" that is the car should move with the door.

you can also tell by seeing if the door "lifts" as its closed. That is the door rising up on the striker plate. Some times it gets so bad you have to lift the door up and close at the same time. compare driver to passenger, generally the driver will be bad since it gets a lot more use. compare the slop to the good passenger side.

Just take it to the body shop, they will know if its messed up or not. The wear is not easy to see, its hidden inside the hinge pin bores.

Edited by Dave WM

2 hours ago, Redwing said:

Upon enlarging the door hinge, it looks like it may maybe coming apart.  See what you all think of this photo with the area circled.

Thank you all...

Jai

img_1510765027983.jpg

I think you may be correct. looks like a broken hinge. Try lifting the door as described by Dave WM above and see if the rusty gap in the hinge closes up. It may be easier to lift the door using the window frame with the window down. Also the door will likely close if you can lift it while closing it. Anyone out there have one?

Hi,

I went to the mechanic I use to get oil change.  At 3,003 miles since roll over of 1,000,000 when it was last changed, I drove for 1 year.  Pretty good eh?  I use the KM filters but it did not arrive yet, it's due today.  So will go back tomorrow to get the oil change.

At any rate, Pete looked at the door.  He easily and quickly fixed it.  I don't understand but his words were that he just "rolled it over twice, shut the door and then it worked"!  Whatever he did, I am very glad!!!  A quick easy fix.  I'm now at the body shop and they are balancing the wheels and adjusting the downward looking headlight.

Now as to the hinge possibly breaking.  Does it look inside the white circle that perhaps someone welded it, maybe a lousy fix for a cracked hinge?  Is that weld marks?   Again I don't know, maybe my thoughts are off.   I do know that when RedBird was prepared for sale, before I bought her, whomever it was used the cheapest methods possible.  I have found lousy work on her, that I don't think the original owner would have done.  The good parts on her are really well cared for good.

Thanks for all the help, you guys are the greatest.

Jai

maybe the striker was already in the closed position with the door open. When we were kids we would push the striker closed with the door open. the when trying to close the door it would just hit the striker and not engage, door would not latch. Anyone mess with the door latch lately with the door open?

if the door does not sag, I would not worry about the hinge.

Edited by Dave WM

1 hour ago, Dave WM said:

maybe the striker was already in the closed position with the door open. When we were kids we would push the striker closed with the door open. the when trying to close the door it would just hit the striker and not engage, door would not latch. Anyone mess with the door latch lately with the door open?

if the door does not sag, I would not worry about the hinge.

That was funny.  I did It too.  They'd bounce it a couple of times before trying the handle.