IGNORED

Wax

Patcon

I need some of the resident experts to give me some pointers on car wax. what do you use? Do you like it?

In the past I have always used paste waxes, many of which have abrasives in them. Is that the way to go? I don't like them for the reason if you get them on to rubber it can be difficult to get the hazing back off the rubber.

Liquid waxes???

I'm certainly no expert, so file my opinions appropriately.   I use paste wax when I know the paint needs a good cleaning for bugs and such that a good wash didn't remove.  I'll use either Meguiare's or Mother's, then buff it with a Wen orbital buffer.  Seems to last a good while.  Liquid is for when I just need a quick wax, same brands. They has abrasives in them also.    

I try to stay about 1/2" to 1" away from plastic and rubber bits. Paste is easier to control for me and liquid tends to be messy and gets everywhere when I get a little over zealous (which is every time I wax).  Enter Mr, Toothbrush, an old one of course.  It doesn't harm the paint and gets into all the nooks and crannies.  Then I finish the black plastic bits with Mother's Back to Black.

1 hour ago, S30Driver said:

Charles

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax with excellent results.  won't fizz on the rubber & my 40 year old paint loves it.

Jim So this doesn't turn white on the rubber and seals?

28 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Best stuff IMO. Look at my signature pics. Old single stage paint soaks it in like a sponge. Smells good too! I need to shower with it. 8^)

2702_lg.jpg

I like Meguiars products. Does this show if you get it on the trim?

7 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

I used the turtle wax ICE nano wax.  Goes on fast and easy but I prefer the old carnauba mothers and elbow grease.

I have used traditional paste wax for years but am looking for something a little more forgiving

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

Jim So this doesn't turn white on the rubber and seals?

I like Meguiars products. Does this show if you get it on the trim?

Nope, does not turn the rubber white.  Wipes right off.

Comes with a nice micofiber cloth & sponge applicator, about $20 at the big Walmart's ...

Interesting that Philip uses the Ice--

Makes me feel somewhat better that someone who's opinion I trust and respect uses it also!

I use it, but always felt like I was cheating and using an inferior product compared to Meguiar's, Mother's, etc. paste waxes.

+1 to what Philip says---goes on very easily and beads the water nicely. Doesn't whiten rubber trim.

IMHO, if you have a 2 stage base/ clear paint the Ice works very well. 

If I were one of the fortunates that still had original Amino Alkyd Enamel paint, like Jim2 or Cliff, I'd be using the paste waxes. Original paint done with it is like no other---I admire the paint on Jim's car (Fiona) each time I see it!

Maybe when I retire I'll get into waxing with the real thing!

• Like 1

So for polishing applications I pretty much use Menzerna products exclusively.  I have also used their polymer sealant as well with good results.  They tend to be on the expensive side but produce very good results.

However, recently a good buddy of mine tried a product he received as a trial.  It's called Trinova and for a fraction of the cost of the Menzerna it actually appeared to do a better job.  Goes on easily and wipes off easily after the recommended drying time.  I used it on my car right before ZCON and so I  do not know about the longevity of the product, but the initial results were extremely good.  You can pick this up on Amazon for about $14.  I had not heard of the brand before but they have a full line of other car care products as well, although the carnuba based wax is the only one I have tried so far.

7LnK69fVnlw3DLlAy+vm6A8OG6Z8uDI6yYoD4688

Mike.

• Like 1