IGNORED

New member introduction - My 76' 280Z in Atlanta

Thanks SteveJ, that is great help. I haven't quite gotten to the point when I'm giving up yet, although I admit I'm getting close. But this car is supposed to teach me a lot in mechanics and it certainly is doing so, together with you guys, of course ;).

I'm going to try the fuel pressure gauge and also I'm going to check for vacuum leaks. If I have no new findings after that, then perhaps I will start considering contacting you about referrals.

Hello again guys,

So I followed some of your instructions, although I just realized I haven't checked for leaks yet. But I did add a fuel pressure gauge and I put in a new clear filter in order to better see what's going on, so I hope this gives us a little bit more insight.

Everything went good at first, right after adding all the stuff the car ran properly for a while, as shown in this short video. You can see it's pumping plenty of fuel and the gauge marks between 3 and 4 psi. The car sounds and revs normal.

After a while though, after I drove the car briefly around the parking lot it started loosing power again, as so:

Next thing I'm gonna check for leaks with the carb cleaner spray, as I admit I completely forgot the other day, but I do suspect it will also have something to do with soot in the tank and line, mainly because of the look of the old filter.

IMG_3720[1].JPG

I'll let you know once I have checked for leaks, and after that I guess I will have exhausted all possibilities.

On 7/25/2017 at 9:24 AM, sweatybetty said:

i found on my tank, the tube that the fuel pump hooks to was about 95% plugged with rust. i would bet between that and your fuel line, thats your problem

I agree with this, it may be the fuel line. Better check on that as well.

• Like 1

You can hear the fuel pump struggling. The other thing you want to move it to just off the tank. I'm not aware of fuel pump that is designed to suck.  Especially that distance. 

Edited by JSM
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JSM said:

You can hear the fuel pump struggling. The other thing you want to move it to just off the tank. I'm not aware of fuel pump that is designed to suck.  Especially that distance. 

Thanks, I will have to figure out where to get the power from, but I will consider this. I imagine that would help, but I believe it should not be the cause of the problem I'm having right now, because it used to work fine before.

Never seen anything like that. Looks like the bottom of a boat, barnacles. You will most likely have to drop the tank and clean and coat the inside. Cost me $50 or so on my '77. Google "Red-Kote application instructions" to familiarize your self with the procedure. It's not hard just time sensitive and will take a week to fully cure the liner. I can offer plenty of tips, I've done two so far just let me know.

• Like 1

Never seen anything like that. Looks like the bottom of a boat, barnacles. You will most likely have to drop the tank and clean and coat the inside. Cost me $50 or so on my '77. Google "Red-Kote application instructions" to familiarize your self with the procedure. It's not hard just time sensitive and will take a week to fully cure the liner. I can offer plenty of tips, I've done two so far just let me know.

Thanks siteunseen, I think I will have to do that. Right now I want to clean it enough to be able to get it out of the parking place where it is and take it somewhere where I can work on it properly. I'm guessing this might be my main problem right now. Still have to check for leaks though, haven't been able to do that yet, mostly for fear of hitting something that can catch fire without having a fire extinguisher closeby [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile