IGNORED

How to tune carbs JUST to get the car running?

kayinsunz

Hey guys just an update.

Replaced the 5.5-9psi pump with a 2.5-4psi pump. Opened up both of the float bowls and both floats were way out of adjustment. Adjusted the floats to spec, pulled out the needles, and cleaned the seats with carb cleaner and a small wire brush. Just waiting on new gaskets for the float bowls. In the meantime going to adjust the valves.

Quick question, the floats were 'pushed down' really far. The clearance was way over spec on both F/R floats. Could that be the cause 'overwhelming' the floats with high fuel pressure?

Thanks,

KS

Edited by kayinsunz

The tangs on my floats were bent up like a roller coaster's first climb.  That caused the bowls to barely have fuel, if I drove up a pretty steep mountain it would stall out from fuel starvation.  I found that having them bent fairly level was a good starting point.

The red circle was for somebody else.

float.png

And try gluing your gaskets onto the lids, it helped me when i was getting them set.  I used black oil and fuel resistant RTV.

20170102_201821.jpg

• Like 1

I see, that would make sense. I think the previous owner tried to adjust the floats and put the needles in backwards. Both needles were facing down (towards the float bowl) and it didn't seem right to me, so I flipped them the other way, facing what I think would be the seat (top side of the float lid). Phone is down right now or I would post pics. It just seemed to be the way it was engineered, the float rises from fuel and closes the needle valve right? By pushing the needle into the seat?

As for the gaskets, they just disintegrated as soon as I removed the lids so I will just wait for them to come in from Zcardepot. Patience is key with my old lady, she's safe in the garage anyway.

IMG_0211.JPG

Edited by kayinsunz

Anything is possible I guess! He told me in was running when he bought it. Hell when I got the car the coil was wired backwards, firing order off, dizzycap on backwards, 5.5-9psi pump, and now the needles in backwards. I guess he didn't have access to classiczcars.com lmao!

Edited by kayinsunz
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

You can photocopy (or scan and print) your lids to felpro gasket paper (at most cars parts stores)  then cut new gaskets with an xacto knife.

carb gasket.gif

gonna head to the parts store and try this now actually, give me something to do on my only day off!

You may have to scale the above drawing so practice on plain paper until you are happy then throw the gasket paper in the printer.

I filled the drawing up with side-by-side copies so that 1 sheet of gasket paper had 6 or 8 templates printed... just in case I screwed up a few when cutting.

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1