IGNORED

To buy or not to buy...that is the question

motorman7

10 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I like the use of the paint stir sticks, I'll have to borrow that one next time.

Thanks, actually they are a bit to stiff to handle the curves though.  I had to break them into smaller pieces. That white 1/4" plastic molding is actually perfect. It flexes nicely.   I think that was left over from some home improvement project.  If I did this a lot, I would get some more of the plastic molding.

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

So how did you run it without the dash? I wouldn't have thought to try that

Ah, sorry, was not very clear on that.  I put in the old cracked dash with about 6 screws and connected most of the harness connectors. No heater panel or center stuff.  Gauges work, ammeter,  oil, water , gas and tach. Just enough to run it. Hopefully new dash is available soon.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got so tired of slamming the doors on my white Z to close them that I decided to try the Kia Sportage weatherstripping mentioned on another thread here.  Wow, what a difference!  Door closes nicely and the door is now aligned again with the rear dogleg panel.  My guess is that the metal portion of the Precision brand weatherstripping is too wide.  There is no need for it to be that wide.  If it was the same as the Kia metal portion, I think it would work well.  Unfortunately it does not.  

20200822_120310.jpg

20200822_162633.jpg

• Like 1

Got so tired of slamming the doors on my white Z to close them that I decided to try the Kia Sportage weatherstripping mentioned on another thread here.  Wow, what a difference!  Door closes nicely and the door is now aligned again with the rear dogleg panel.  My guess is that the metal portion of the Precision brand weatherstripping is too wide.  There is no need for it to be that wide.  If it was the same as the Kia metal portion, I think it would work well.  Unfortunately it does not.  

20200822_120310.thumb.jpg.dcf2ecbaabecca6e67a1217b1b38eb88.jpg

20200822_162633.thumb.jpg.69882cdff6fc090c65d6830c206dce93.jpg

It's nice to have softer closing doors but now you need to check how weathertight those Kia seals really are. When I changed my worn out original door seals for the Precision set I immediately noticed three things : 1- I now had to close the door much harder; 2- the smell of partially burnt fuel in the cabin virtually disappeared, and 3- wind noise at highway speeds decreased greatly.

I would love to be able to close my doors softly but I'm quite content with less wind noise and virtually no fumes in the cabin.

Please let us know how your Kia weatherstripping fares in those two regards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk