IGNORED

Longer brake hoses - Anyone have them or made them?

Hardway

Has anyone ever had longer brakes hoses made for their classic Z?  I am doing some rear suspension component testing and pretty much cannot swap out anything with out opening the brake system.  It seems that if the brake line was 3-4 inches longer the system could stay closed and I could swap components at will.  Of course, I am sure the length of hose was determined by an engineer but was curious if Is spec'd a stainless set from a brake hose company would there be any negative affects?

I don't know from experience, but in a closed hydraulic system such as the brakes--- I would think---they shouldn't be affected adversely by the addition of an additional few inches of line. Routing of the additional line length securely and safely shouldn't be too difficult.

Interesting proposition Jeff!

Hardway.....I just finished installing Wilwoods on the front of my 73 car. The stainless brake lines are much longer with no effect on performance. It would be nice not to have to open the brake system to swing out the strut to change shocks or springs.....you would still have to remove e brake clip and outer halfshaft bolts in the rear.

Edited by Diseazd

Thanks guys!  Running longer brake hoses is common in the Jeep/4x4 community.  Some of those guys are running extra feet of hose with no issues.  Now I just need to find a place to make me some.  I will keep you posted with what I find.

Yeah, on the rear you will never get around unbolting the half-shafts and disconnecting the e-brake cable.  That is simple stuff and does not waste anything unlike rounds of bleeding brakes.

I think that Diseazd is saying that some of the available stainless lines are already longer than rubber.  You might not need custom lines unless you want extra long.  MSA and others sell the stainless replacements.

Has anyone measured the exact length of each side (F & R)? We replaced the lines when we switched to Wilwood MCs and made the fronts equal length.

As to bleeding brakes, if you're including jacking the car up, removing the front wheels, laying a cloth under the MCs, getting the 10mm wrench, bottle of new fluid and bleeder bottle, opening the right rear first, pumping the brakes, closing the bleeder, refilling the MC and moving through the other 3 brakes, putting the front wheels back on and lowering the car, then that should take you no more than 30 minutes.

I bought my 1995 Pathfinder new in 1994 and have never bled the brakes or changed the fluid.  254,000 miles.

Just taking the side, for counterpoint to the trend here, of the basic premise of the longer hose argument.  If it ain't squishy, don't bleed it.