IGNORED

Rear main seal installation

ABCar

Well, I'm probably not the one to ask as I have boogered up the last two I did leading to a leaky rear main seal, and I'm going to have to do this again when the weather gets nicer. The way I heard it is to take the seal to Home Depot and find a piece of pvc pipe that is the same diameter. I'm going to cobble up something using the pipe and some fittings so I can tap it with a hammer. I've been told that you can get the seal in part way then use the hammer gently to seat it. I will be watching this thread for any good advice as I don't really want to get any better at pulling the engine/trans than I already am. The last time I had the help of a friend with a lift and just pulled the tranny, but this time I think I will pull the eng./tranny as I didn't really have enough room to get an accurate install of the RMS. Good luck.

Cheers, Mike

My seal slipped right on, the trouble was the side seals for me until @Diseazd offered his advice.  Thanks again for it to.:)  He said when you get the rear cap started down stop about an inch before the bottom.  Push the side seals all the way down then finish tightening the caps bolts.  Rear seal and sides are still available from Nissan.  If you want the numbers let me know, I have all my receipts in a file.

Here they are,

crank seal #12279-2B500 $29

sides #12289-WO400 times 2 @$1.50 each

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's important to grease the lips of the seal.....then as you are sliding it on the crank, rotate it clockwise on the crank (this positions the lips correctly) as it approaches the block. 

I then tap it in squarely ( equally around the seal ) with a smooth block of wood and hammer.

Edited by Diseazd
  • Like 1

I installed a rear seal on mine last week. Since the motor is on a stand being assembled, I put it on the crank before dropping it in. After installing the rear cap I noticed it was a bit ****-eyed in the seal bore. Looking at the distance from the block/cap chamfer edge to the seal was a little bit different from one side to the other. Less the a sixteenth of and an inch, but still visibly crooked. As said above, make sure it's square.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2