IGNORED

Fairlady 432 at Auction

gundee

On 1/27/2019 at 12:35 AM, Jason240z said:

Also, didn't a v8 swap hls30 sell here for big money?

I think with this auction, money doesn't buy taste.  That 432 was a bargain.  The ls swapped thing was overpriced tat.

The V8 swapped Z sold at another nearby auction (Barrett Jackson) a day or two before.  Searching the internet I found some more information and pictures of this car from prior auctions.  The car had more work done on it/isssue, some of which was noted at a prior auction but not at the one last week.  The upper radiator support is not correct for a 1970, so it was replaced as some point and the dash had multiple badly repaired cracks and there was no mention of either of those.  I still think it was a good deal for a  driveable Z432 that is already in the US, especially considering that the  S20 engine and rough shell sold for $67K (plus buyers commission I assume) in Japan.  When I saw the car the hood was closed and the rest of the car locked up so I couldn't see all the issues.

Comments from a prior auction:

The car has been repainted in what appears to be the original orange color, resulting in a good driver quality level finish. There are some paint imprefections along the lower body and orange peel along the rocker panels that potentially should wet sand and compound out. Overall the finish and color is consistent and glossy, though showing some signs of stone chips and minor blemishes in a few upper body areas. The hood color has been painted satin black to emulate the R version. race prepped 432 cars. Trim and rubber appears consistent with the condition throughout with minor hazing and light scratches on the bumpers as well as some imperfections in the various rubber trim and window gaskets. Glass appears to be correct with the exception of the rear hatch, which has glass from a US spec car. Further inspection of the hatch shows that the entire hatch might also have been painted green at some point. Lights, lenses and side marker lenses are all in good condition. The distinctive 432 grille is of the correct type. Wheels are tires are not factory original but give the car a nice aggressive stance.

The engine has been very nicely restored using correct factory type finishes and proper equipment per the 432 designation. Some evidence of minor touch up paint is notable on a few accessory parts. The undercarriage shows some evidence of use over the years and possibly rear quarter panel replacement

The interior is nicely finished with the correct style seats and a radio has been added to the center console. The rear uprights are covered with standard vinyl material differing from the original diamond-stitched material from the factory. For the most part, the remainder of the interior is quite nice overall, again in keeping with the general driver level condition of the restoration. The underside of the car shows some evidence of former corrosion repair along the rocker panels and the likely replacement of the floors, work which is commonplace to unibody-design cars which have spent considerable time in Japan. The car remains solid and structurally sound, and is ready to be enjoyed.

PS30-00166-3.JPG

20190118_100938.jpg

Edited by Mike B
  • Like 2

Hi Kats,

I know it says it's painted the "original orange color" in the auction text I posted above, but I think it is still painted 905 red.  Both 905 and 110 red are orange tinted reds (110 more so).  I think  to the uninformed eyes it can be seen as orange in certain light.  I also didn't understand the auction text comment about the hatch glass being replaced with a US version of the glass.  I think the hatch glass would be the same for the US market and the Z432 in September 1970; tinted glass with vertical defroster lines.

-Mike

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, kats said:

Hi , a 1969 PS30-00061 is now on sale at here , https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w303997991

No engine , no transmission, but a registered paper comes with this car . 

If the price stayed lower , I would have thought to bid .

880000 JPY currently and not meeting a reserve .

Kats

Go for it Kats!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gav240z said:

Go for it Kats!

Already 2 200 000 JPY ! No way , I am out . I now realized its engine and transmission, and R192 diff as a set were the ones which pulled and sold on Yahoo some years ago , they were very good condition. I wondered where was the body , but here it is !

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 2

This is what I saw on Yahoo auction some years ago , this engine is definitely pulled out from the car , PS30-00061.

It is mounted on the big frame as if it was displayed in a museum . This was cheaper than that of current prices .

Kats

IMG_2400.JPG

Edited by kats

9 hours ago, Gav240z said:

It's a shame the shell and engine were separated.. I wonder if the motor is available for sale?

Hi Gavin , the motor was bought by a used car shop which is located near my house . I visited and saw a mechanic was trying to install the engine into a Fairlady Z (L20 model ) . 

Kats

• 7 months later...