IGNORED

New Fujitsubo Exhaust System to be Released

On 9/18/2022 at 11:11 PM, Matthew Abate said:

I think you’re right. I would rather have the split one (15415) so the pipes tuck up better, but I don’t want to order it and find out it doesn’t line up with the twin pipe indentations on the r180 crossmember.

I've been emailing the UK importer, they've been back to Fujitsubo in Japan, the've asked for some of the etched numbers on 'my' system to confirm, hopefully will get some info over the next week.  its all been quick so far.

I finally got my car remote tuned. I had a few settings I didn’t understand, totally wrong, then my biggest issue is my iac. The haltech ecu doesn’t like my balance bar setup. I won’t give up. But I ended up plugging it for my road tuning. 

First impressions is wow. The car feels so fast. Even peels out a little, which seems crazy for a bone stock 2.4L. Wot passes sound magical. I ended up using Animal Tuning, who works for haltech and tunes on the side. 

I have dual o2 sensors, 1-3 and 4-6. 1-3 needed about 5% more fuel to obtain the same afr. Which was a pretty cool feature. 

Next is more wot passes and making sure AFR is on to protect the motor. 

7CD1F692-20D7-4847-845D-E772A5171F66.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/18/2022 at 2:31 PM, Jason240z said:

its all in your head.  you post on my threads.  

Why don't we start threads on your exhausts speaking about the following issues with Zstory:

So let's agree NOT to post on each others' threads (and that includes Alan too) - OK ? Pax Britannica. 😊

I didn't understand until now the level of animosity you have towards me - someone you've never met and don't know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2022 at 11:11 PM, Matthew Abate said:

I think you’re right. I would rather have the split one (15415) so the pipes tuck up better, but I don’t want to order it and find out it doesn’t line up with the twin pipe indentations on the r180 crossmember.

It seems every genuine exhaust has a laser etched part and ref number(to build timeline).  the UK importer has taken mine and is waiting on the factory to give more feedback.

This is what JDM Car Parts sent in response to my questions:

1. I can tell the EPU is a full system, but I can’t tell if the header is the same as the Super Ex or if it has also been updated. EPU Has 3rd Gen Flipped flange.

2. I see that the EPU version can accommodate an r200 differential, but does it still work with a r180 and the factory cross member that has indents for a twin pipe exhaust? It would not work with R200 set up. These indents are for factory exhaust for Z432 and such.

I think they’re not understanding my question, but I found somewhere else that there are specific part numbers for the r180 version and the r200 version. I am betting the r200 version is too wide to work with the factory differential cross member with the exhaust indentations.

3. I saw one website saying the EPU version has an O2 sensor, but I wasn’t sure where it is. Is it on the header or the y-pipe? O2 Sensor does not come with the system. It comes with a plug, which can be removed for O2 Sensor  if you wish to use it.

4a. Is the EPU system a bolt in setup in a left hand drive car, or is there going to be a clearance issue with the steering shaft hitting the header? NO Made to fit LHD / RHD

> Yes. It fits both RHD and LHD  YES

4b. Related to this, are all of the hanger brackets welded on already? YES for EPU 

5. Are there any other changes to the EPU over the Legalis r / super ex that explain the price increase over the older setup?   Many of the products have been updated without changing part #. We recommend you purchase header and exhaust system together, so you will not have any matching issues.

Super EX must be used with Legalis R 750-15414 It is made for a Lowered vehicle. It is made for R180, it does Not work with R200.
Super EX does NOT work with Legalis R 750-15411(For Stock height vehicles, it was popular in 80's.
Edited by Matthew Abate
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like they're making guesses based on pics? Part numbers are updated where its a different part with a new part number(is what Japan have told UK importer).  They're waiting to be told what would fit etc.

Looking at it, the section to change, would be simple to fabricate to use the r180 diff cutouts in factory style.

Seems like we'll get there between the pair of us.

On 10/1/2022 at 11:58 PM, Matthew Abate said:

This is what JDM Car Parts sent in response to my questions:

1. I can tell the EPU is a full system, but I can’t tell if the header is the same as the Super Ex or if it has also been updated. EPU Has 3rd Gen Flipped flange.

2. I see that the EPU version can accommodate an r200 differential, but does it still work with a r180 and the factory cross member that has indents for a twin pipe exhaust? It would not work with R200 set up. These indents are for factory exhaust for Z432 and such.

I think they’re not understanding my question, but I found somewhere else that there are specific part numbers for the r180 version and the r200 version. I am betting the r200 version is too wide to work with the factory differential cross member with the exhaust indentations.

3. I saw one website saying the EPU version has an O2 sensor, but I wasn’t sure where it is. Is it on the header or the y-pipe? O2 Sensor does not come with the system. It comes with a plug, which can be removed for O2 Sensor  if you wish to use it.

4a. Is the EPU system a bolt in setup in a left hand drive car, or is there going to be a clearance issue with the steering shaft hitting the header? NO Made to fit LHD / RHD

> Yes. It fits both RHD and LHD  YES

4b. Related to this, are all of the hanger brackets welded on already? YES for EPU 

5. Are there any other changes to the EPU over the Legalis r / super ex that explain the price increase over the older setup?   Many of the products have been updated without changing part #. We recommend you purchase header and exhaust system together, so you will not have any matching issues.

Super EX must be used with Legalis R 750-15414 It is made for a Lowered vehicle. It is made for R180, it does Not work with R200.
Super EX does NOT work with Legalis R 750-15411(For Stock height vehicles, it was popular in 80's.

So as an update...

Fujitsubo will make the section in the factory to fit between systems.  

They have flipped the mounting, which they said isn't for any reason, its likely they might change it in the future!

7 hours ago, Matthew Abate said:

Jeeez. It’s like they don’t want us to buy the damn thing.

To be fair, you've been posting on this thread asking questions since 2017 and you still haven't bought a system. One might be excused for thinking it's you that doesn't want to "buy the damn thing"... 😉

At some point you just need to step up and do it. I see you asking questions about stuff (sensor bosses, welded mounting tabs etc) that you can add/modify on whatever system you buy. Some of the questions make it sound like you are ordering parts for NASA. Aftermarket exhaust systems for almost any car - in my experience - are likely to need a little tweaking at the very least. This is not millimetre accurate engineering here. They are pipes with bends in them.

I previously vouched for the Spirit Garage (Japan) systems and used one on one of my cars for many years. It is still going strong. However, I made some small modifications to the rearmost mounts to better fit (in my opinion) my car, and my tastes. No big deal, surely? I eventually painted most of it flat black, as I got tired of the 'bling'. 

Spirit Garage stainless system-1.jpg

The Spirit Garage and Fujitsubo systems are excellent quality and have the advantage of ready availability and, currently, USD to JPY exchange rates greatly in your favour.   

31 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

To be fair, you've been posting on this thread asking questions since 2017 and you still haven't bought a system. One might be excused for thinking it's you that doesn't want to "buy the damn thing"... 😉

At some point you just need to step up and do it. I see you asking questions about stuff (sensor bosses, welded mounting tabs etc) that you can add/modify on whatever system you buy. Some of the questions make it sound like you are ordering parts for NASA. Aftermarket exhaust systems for almost any car - in my experience - are likely to need a little tweaking at the very least. This is not millimetre accurate engineering here. They are pipes with bends in them.

I previously vouched for the Spirit Garage (Japan) systems and used one on one of my cars for many years. It is still going strong. However, I made some small modifications to the rearmost mounts to better fit (in my opinion) my car, and my tastes. No big deal, surely? I eventually painted most of it flat black, as I got tired of the 'bling'. 

Spirit Garage stainless system-1.jpg

The Spirit Garage and Fujitsubo systems are excellent quality and have the advantage of ready availability and, currently, USD to JPY exchange rates greatly in your favour.   

Asking questions and expecting clear answers to be able to compare two components that are ostensibly the same is reasonable. The retailers who sell the Fujitsubo kit are inconsistent in the information the provide. The O2 boss is a great example. All of the Super Ex + Legalis kits are advertised as working on a 280z, which would require one. Only one retailer I found mentions it. Fitting on a left hand drive car is another great example. One retailer says one model fits, another says the same model doesn’t fit.

Maybe it’s not Fujitsubo’s fault the information isn’t out in the world in a way that makes the choice easy, but I was pretty set on their system being right for me until I started really looking at it. They’ve also changed it twice in that time. It’s better than it was when I started looking at it, but you can still get the old ones and making sure you’re getting what you think you’re getting is key on a $3,000 part.

I also know more now, and while it may be great, I understand what I should be looking for and am moving in another direction for my setup. But the reason I’m continuing to post on the topic is I’m trying to do the group a favor and get these questions answered so someone coming up behind me can be informed. I still don’t feel like the information someone can access is clear. They should fix that if they want people to buy it.

And yeah, I’ve been posting since 2017 and the information is only more convoluted. I will take as long as I please to make my choice in a way that fits with the circumstances of my life, which you don’t have insight into and can’t comment on.

Edited by Matthew Abate
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Matthew Abate said:

And yeah, I’ve been posting since 2017 and the information is only more convoluted. I will take as long as I please to make my choice in a way that fits with the circumstances of my life, which you don’t have insight into and can’t comment on.

It seems to me that after 19 pages "The Information" is peppered with misunderstandings, miscomprehensions and personal opinions with - I'd say - a little light salting of wilful disinformation and unfair criticism from a rival supplier with a dog in the fight. 

I've answered your PMs to the best of my ability. I've also recommended that you reach out to the actual manufacturers rather than their online re-sellers because I don't believe the re-sellers will make the effort to get full answers to your (many) technical questions. QED.

I also get the feeling that, whatever system you eventually go with, you'll probably find fault. You now say you're going with a Spirit Garage system but (even as a happy Spirit Garage system user) I can assure you that the Fujitsubo systems are better quality both in materials used and in construction.  

Whatever you buy, a pinch of pragmatism will go a long way.

14 hours ago, Jason240z said:

They have flipped the mounting, which they said isn't for any reason, its likely they might change it in the future!

Flipping the 'binocular' flange between the manifold and the rest of the system is (surely?) part of their effort to improve ground clearance.