Redwing

Somethings wrong...

3 hours ago, Chickenman said:

you should be able to use your old 280Z cap and rotor if they are in good condition

The cap and rotor are different. I did the swap in my 77.

A good tune-up, as mentioned above, is a good start. I do a tune-up on my 77 twice a year. Over kill? Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't give me any trouble. Sometimes I think it's due to boredom. I adjust my valves twice a year and probably only put about 5,000 miles at the most.

Lets see a pic of the plugs also if you can. Are they all the same, sooty?

4 hours ago, rcb280z said:

A good tune-up, as mentioned above, is a good start. I do a tune-up on my 77 twice a year. Over kill? Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't give me any trouble. Sometimes I think it's due to boredom. I adjust my valves twice a year and probably only put about 5,000 miles at the most.

Lets see a pic of the plugs also if you can. Are they all the same, sooty?

I thank everyone for their good suggestions.    I'm planning to check out the simplest and least expensive offers first.  Alas, everything will have to wait until  2/3  when my social security arrives.  I will get the spark plugs first and check what improvement is shown then.  For sure I will share that information.  

To photo the current plugs, that will have to wait until Sunday or Monday when my son gets back in town.  We share a spark plug size tool.  

Thanks again to all, I knew I could count on your help with this.  You have never let me down!    

Jan     :love:

• Like 1

Oh no,

RedBird says she won't go

No mo.

So here we sit

Having a fit

On the side of the road

Hope we don't get hit

Before towing get

Here.

Well... the good news is that an intermittent problem has now become permanent. That's easier to diagnose....  Be Safe. 

• Like 1

Well my friends...

We made it home safely.  Managed to not be struck by a idiot on the phone while driving.

Now this really opens up a mess for me.  RB is now driving exactly like before the old/new to her, ECU.  Going to store after Dr in Dalton, she refused to stay running.  The last half mile she was coasting, with me restarting her about every 3 seconds, to keep forward motion.   I knew then she would not make it home.  When restarted, she would chug and carry on like she was not running on all cylinders.  Very rough.  I did not want to press her on, I was afraid she might harm something else.

Here is a photo of our journey home.

Jai

20170120_141544_1484942745985.jpg

Edited by Redwing

Since its the easiest thing to do, just unplug the ECU 35 pin and then plug it back in. Key off of course. Never unplug with the power on.

Edited by Dave WM
    • Like 1

Just now, Dave WM said:

Since its the easiest thing to do, just unplug the ECU 35 pin and then plug it back in.

Is that on the inside of the cover, or outside?

Thanks...

It's under the plastic kick panel.  The screws are hard to get to.  The pedal in this picture is the clutch pedal.  I circled the connector.

ECU.PNG

• Like 1

By the way Jai, if you do any of the testing with the any of the coil wires or ignition be very careful. A leather or rubber glove is recommended they carry a lot of voltage and can be hazardous

• Like 1

Just now, Zed Head said:

It's under the plastic kick panel.  The screws are hard to get to.  The pedal in this picture is the clutch pedal.  I circled the connector.

ECU.PNG

Thank you for making that clear, and the photos too.  I'll  have to figure something, I have a hard time bending into that position.  As of right now tho, it is impossible.  The tow driver got her into the carport leaving only enough room to slide in the door sideways.  That will keep me out for sure.

Jai 

• Will do, and thank you for the suggestion!  I have a healthy fear of electricity.  I probably would not have known that without your gentle prod.  

Jai LOL

Does your 76 ignition system still use the stock ignition box or did you upgrade to the newer 280zx "matchbox" one?

If you drive it again and it dies, quickly note the tach and see if it drops to 0 instantly. Also coast along with the gears engaged to see if the tach shows the engine rpm. If it stays at 0 it means no spark.

I believe her car has the original TIU.

Sorry to read of your problems with your beloved car Jai.   Did you keep the original ECU,  that might eventually come in handy to troubleshoot the problem.

Chickenman  is right, at least the problem should be much easier to diagnose & correct now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Does your 76woutignition system still use the stock ignition box or did you upgrade to the newer 280zx "matchbox" one?

If you drive it again and it dies, quickly note the tach and see if it drops to 0 instantly. Also coast along with the gears engaged to see if the tach shows the engine rpm. If it stays at 0 it means no spark.

To my knowledge the Ignition system Is stock.  My tach does not work.  I know It would be a big help.    :cry:

Thank you

54 minutes ago, S30Driver said:

I b slieve her car has the original TIU.

Sorry to read of your problems with your beloved car Jai.   Did you keep the original ECU,  that might eventually come in handy to troubleshoot the problem.

Chickenman  is right, at least the problem should be much easier to diagnose & correct now.

Yes I do have the origional ECU.  Yep I have high hopes that this Is just a temporary setback.  I so much have enjoyed driving symptom free.  

Datsun Z's rule!   :beer:

Thank you...

13 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Should she unhook the battery as  Dwell as OFF position?  I've read that before but have know idea.

:)

Not to worry...  I keep key In my pocket when engine work Is being  done!

Edited by Redwing

Hi all,

I was talking with a mechanic that has helped me fix my truck in the past.  Dean said that RB's symptoms are  just like a car he had in the past.  Saying that the EGR valve got clogged and the catalytic converter got clogged too.  His suggestion was to loosen up the converter at the front edge, and try to start her then.  

I mentioned oil loss with no apparent way, save the tailpipe is greasy.  Yes he said that too.  Stalling, stopping, chugging, fouled plugs, agh, cannot remember all we talked about that would be caused by a clogged converter.  He said, the combustion has no where to go except building up pressure in the engine, causing many many problems. That all sounds probable to me, but I'm not a mechanic.     

So I am the messenger, relaying this to you, and asking for your take on it.  And I'm asking for any who have had this happen, please tell just what did you do to get your car running good again?  Please share with me your efforts and results.

Thanks  bunches,

Jay      

BTW  Deanna watchers, she had a seizure or stroke last night.  Still out of it and walking is Very hard, almost can't without help.  :(

There's a sticker on the driver's side door jamb that will tell if you have a converter.  It was California only in 1976 so you might not have one.  I think Nissan called it a Catalyst back then.  Mine says NON-CATALYST.

Are you saying that engine won't even start now?

Just now, Zed Head said:

There's a sticker on the driver's side door jamb that will tell if you have a converter.  It was California only in 1976 so you might not have one.  I think Nissan called it a Catalyst back then.  Mine says NON-CATALYST.

Are you saying that engine won't even start now?

Zed Head,

Thank you for your quick answer.  There is no sticker in the door jamb, but I have been under her while on a lift, and saw it.

Correct, she will not start now.  Never did after I had her towed home.  

Jai

There's a "pre-muffler" that looks like a converter.  It's there to cancel out droning from the exhaust system.  Looks like a converter but it's not.  There should be a sticker.

A clogged muffler would be like a clogged converter though.  So maybe...

My error, no sticker at all, thanks.  We've been treating her as tho she had a converter.  

Jai