IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

Yes, nice to have the correct battery cables in.  So much nicer.
I stripped all of the hubcaps and prepped a couple for paint with the green tape.  Unfortunately I ran out of paint, so will order some more from Amazon.  The first one came out nice.  
DSCF6108.thumb.JPG.ad740dbefdd563674fcc0aabd1c92ddc.JPG
DSCF6101.thumb.JPG.e66e240cea98eecc3dffc3f3ce60b56d.JPG
DSCF6104.thumb.JPG.0b69a9c5ca4a27cba0365e7706740f71.JPG
DSCF6105.thumb.JPG.3fe7c0c26d25475653efdc697d204ef9.JPG
DSCF6110.thumb.JPG.db62fc5a104957c5ed1134e985007061.JPG
Motorman,

I had my 'D' caps rechromed and still need to repaint them. What steps did you take on the hubcaps and what products did you use? Also, how closely did the paint you use match the original color?

Thanks,

Robert S.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

To my knowledge, no. Because all of the color is below the clear coat it makes it look deeper than a single stage can. 

My car is single stage.  It's a different character.  I've always thought single stage looks deeper, while base/clear looks glossier. 

zzz

3 hours ago, rcb280z said:

That is correct. 

Can you make a single stage look as good as a base/clear?

Depends on how you define the terms.  

All enamels are Single Step so to speak... in a sense. You spray them on - they flow out to leave a high gloss finish.   But when we say base/clear, the word “base” at least to me -  indicates a 2 Stage Paint Job. First Stage is to spray on the Base - that finishes out DULL… the Second Stage is a Clear Coat that melts into the Dull Base and brings out the Shine. 

You can spray an enamel on the car - that by definition with flow out to leave a shiny surface. Then Apply a Clear Coat on top of that - to add protection and gloss. That is two steps, but not a 2 Stage Paint job.

The 2 Stage Paints were developed to solve the previous generations of Clear Coat problems - i.e.. cracking/crazing/graying. However with the newer and higher quality Clear Coats today - using the manufactures recommended paint and clear coat - most of the older problems have been solved.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EhlersRS said:

Motorman,

I had my 'D' caps rechromed and still need to repaint them. What steps did you take on the hubcaps and what products did you use? Also, how closely did the paint you use match the original color?

Thanks,

Robert S.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Not sure what Motorman used but these look good.  Maybe the same spray?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EhlersRS said:

.What steps did you take on the hubcaps and what products did you use? Also, how closely did the paint you use match the original color?

I did exactly what @siteunseen mentioned above.  It looks great and is the closest I have seen to the original.  Although, I did use the 'Bulldog Spray adhesion before the paint coat.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Doesn't clear coat break down or get cloudy after awhile?  I know my boat did after a few years but it was very much in the ultra violet rays.  My cars stay in the garage 80 percent of the time.

It can do both, as well as, let go like some Hondas and Chevys have done over the years.

Did your boat have automotive clear coat on it? Not gelcoat?

Also like most everything more expensive clears perform better. The high solids clears are better but are harder to spray and can get quite expensive

It was an '82 Hydrostream that was scratched up really bad when I bought in '93? so I wet sanded the top cap then turned it upside down and wet sanded the bottom.  And yes I paid a guy to clear coat with automotive material. Looked great but got milky after 4 or 5 years.  Had some of the best times in my life with that boat, sold it and made a nice profit.  It was a 100mph river racer when I got through with it. 2.5 Mercury with 300 horse OMC carbs. 28 pitch prop turning 8,200 or 8,500 rpms, can't remember now. Quarter mile "run what you brung" on Friday evenings I had the second fastest boat with a 24" cleaver Yamaha prop.  Then the short shaft 300 horse fuel injected motors came out.  My reign was destroyed by Allison drag boats. 8^(

Oh the memories! Not mine but close...

24o8y1k.jpg

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

Sorry Rich for the thread jack...

No Prob....it's always good to have a little diversion.

Got the luggage straps in and rear panel installed.  The interior is pretty much done except for those two little hatch plugs (should be on their way here from Banzai Motorworks).

Took one more pic of the car in my garage.  It is starting to hit me that the car will be leaving soon.  It actually makes me a bit sad.  I often walk out into the garage just to look at it.  

At this point I just have a few parts that I am waiting on but those should be in soon and quick to install.  Then a few little adjustments; the brakes squeak and the carbs need some minor tuning and then she is ready to go.  Hard to believe that it is just about complete.  It has been quite a journey.

DSCF6202.JPG

DSCF6199.JPG

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:56 AM, motorman7 said:

Just had time for a few small items.  Seems the Holidays are always the busiest time of the year.

I got the sound deadening mat in.  This stuff is interesting, like rubber covered led.  It is surprisingly heavy for how small it is.  I will use this on the floor, in the doors and on the rear section of the car.  I know it is not stock but should make the car a bit quieter inside and will not be visible once everything is assembled.

Got the speedo cable in and the carb linkage completed.  Also spent some time aligning the bumper.  I just need to attach a few more hoses (waiting for more clamps;my original order was short the hoses at the fuel tank) and a few vacuum tubes and then I will be about ready to start her up.  Oh, after I get a battery.  Will go to Costco for that.  With a few minor mods, their batteries can look pretty retro and original.

Anyway, here are a few pics for now.

DSCF5832.JPG

Is there a reason you went with this stuff over, say, Dyna-mat?  This doesn't look like an economy resto so perhaps there's a better technical reason?