IGNORED

HLS30-00006 at the Crusher?

1 hour ago, Hardway said:

What car is this?  The taillights look like the are from a 1969 Camaro RS given the chrome bar running in the middle.

It's a Romanelli GT  

" Vehicle display floor, Montreal International Auto Salon at Place Bonaventure, January 1970, the show featured more than 300 cars including such Canadian-built rarities as the Romanelli GT, a V12-powered sports car built by Montreal native, Francesco Romanelli "

http://www.romoto.com/gt.html

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Had to bump this topic as I was doing some reading and research on the story behind which Z actually showed  up to the NY auto show in 1969. 

Has anyone been able to track down which 907 vin was at the show in NYC? So if I am getting my history lesson facts in order, the BSR vin #6 car had the roof dented and was given to Sharp BEFORE the NYC show.

BTW, I was trying to get vin #6 down to the New York International Auto Show for the 2 weeks and there wasn't much interest even though Nissan is celebrating 50 years. I was able to organize a few local Z cars to be displayed as part of the Heritage cars, 2nd floor of the center and will have 35 local Z cars on display on 11th Ave while Nissan has their parade. 

I wish there was more talk of the history of the Z car at the auto show and information. 

4 hours ago, EVILC said:

Has anyone been able to track down which 907 vin was at the show in NYC? So if I am getting my history lesson facts in order, the BSR vin #6 car had the roof dented and was given to Sharp BEFORE the NYC show.

Correct. HLS30-00006 was not at the International Auto Show, NYC in April, 1970.  Bob Sharp had ownership by then. He received it  ~ early Feb after it was damaged at a Jan show in Montreal.

Here is what @Carl Beck shared about the 1969 show at the Pierre Hotel in NYC:

Oct. 22nd, 1969 was the date that Nissan Motors Ltd. held its International Preview of the Datsun 240Z in New York, NY.

According to Mr. Dunn - who headed the PR Firm that handled the arrangements at the time -The International Preview {planned weeks in advance} was held in New York instead of the more usual US automobile model introductions held in Detroit - - because Nissan did not want to seem disrespectful of the U.S. Auto Industry. {by introducing an import car in the heart of the US Auto Industry aka Detroit } The Datsun 240Z was flown in from Japan the week before, so the display could be built in the Grand Ballroom of the hotel.

The introduction of the Datsun 240Z was made by Mr. M. Okuma, Managing Director of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd., Export Division, accompanied by Mr. Y. Katayama, President of Nissan Motor Corp. in U.S.A. and Mr. S. Kawazoe, Vice President of Nissan Motor Corp. in U.S.A..

Because most of the automotive reporters at the time were located in Detroit, Nissan chartered a plane to bring the Detroit media to New York for the event and to return them home after.

After the International Preview in NY - the 240Z was flown to L.A. - where it made it's West Coast Debut the 24th of Oct. 1969 at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Hollywood. {the Hotel used in the movie Pretty Woman and many others}

He also mentioned in another thread that the organizer recalled the car to be gold.

Here are some shows I've been tracking looking for Z info on the web. @Mike B and @26th-Z have great info too:

image.png

16 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Here are some shows I've been tracking looking for Z info on the web. @Mike B and @26th-Z have great info too:

image.png

Interesting how this so often seems to happen. Missing:

1969-10-18 Tokyo (Nissan Ginza 'Press Preview' of the entire - at launch - S30-series Z range)

1969-10-24 through 1969-11-6 Tokyo (16th Tokyo Motor Show - all models - over 1.5 million visitors) 

26 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Here is what @Carl Beck shared about the 1969 show at the Pierre Hotel in NYC:

Oct. 22nd, 1969 was the date that Nissan Motors Ltd. held its International Preview of the Datsun 240Z in New York, NY.

According to Mr. Dunn - who headed the PR Firm that handled the arrangements at the time -The International Preview {planned weeks in advance} was held in New York instead of the more usual US automobile model introductions held in Detroit - - because Nissan did not want to seem disrespectful of the U.S. Auto Industry. {by introducing an import car in the heart of the US Auto Industry aka Detroit } The Datsun 240Z was flown in from Japan the week before, so the display could be built in the Grand Ballroom of the hotel.

The introduction of the Datsun 240Z was made by Mr. M. Okuma, Managing Director of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd., Export Division, accompanied by Mr. Y. Katayama, President of Nissan Motor Corp. in U.S.A. and Mr. S. Kawazoe, Vice President of Nissan Motor Corp. in U.S.A..

Because most of the automotive reporters at the time were located in Detroit, Nissan chartered a plane to bring the Detroit media to New York for the event and to return them home after.

(my bold)

As I've pointed out before, I don't think this story holds up very well to scrutiny. It seems to me that Katayama's NY and LA trunk shows were organised under Force Majeure as an attempt to mitigate what was going on back in Japan. In Japan, Nissan was aiming squarely at the Tokyo Motor Show as the debut for its new models, and had a massive presence there. As usual, they invited members of the Press, selected dealers and well-connected customers to come to their party on the ground floor of their Ginza HQ a week before the opening of the Tokyo show. What options did Katayama have? What major shows in the USA could he debut the new HLS30U at? What was he looking at on the calendar? What car(s) was he going to show? They were in somewhat short supply...

I don't buy the "disrespect" story about Detroit and the US auto industry. The 1969 Detroit Auto Show was held at the end of November, simply too late for Katayama's taste. There was nothing else that lined up. I think he was organising the NY and LA single-car events so as not to be eclipsed by events in Japan, and preferably to try to be seen to be 'first'. That would be true to Katayama's personality, and advertising/sales/PR was the basis of his education and career.

With Nissan making such an effort in NY this week for their 50th anniversary celebration of the Z and GT-R marques, I'm already reading the legacy of Katayama's sideshow. Apparently the 240Z was "first seen at the NY show in 1969". It gets swallowed whole.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

After the International Preview in NY - the 240Z was flown to L.A. - where it made it's West Coast Debut the 24th of Oct. 1969 at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Hollywood. {the Hotel used in the movie Pretty Woman and many others}

He also mentioned in another thread that the organizer recalled the car to be gold.

You might want to try one of your Grayscale experiments on one of the numerous photos* of the car at the Pierre Hotel NY event. Doesn't look 920 to me.

*LOL

• Like 1