IGNORED

[2017] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

Is that something close to Dizeased's famous P79/F54 motors?  And I agree with you, that was an unbelievable blessing. :)

I don't know the block and head combo for sure, but I believe it is a 280 block with a Maxima head. They said it produced about 180 or so with triples (probably Mikunis). It's not an outlandish build, but it will produce more than the poor, tired lump that's under the hood of my car now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SteveJ said:

I drove my Z down to Sugar Hill Speed Shop (https://www.facebook.com/Sugar-Hill-Speed-Shop-1001732356563108/photos) today to pick up an engine, flywheel and clutch that a friend gave me. We loaded it up on another friend's truck and stored it in his garage.

The engine is a fresh rebuild with less than 150 miles on it. I attached a photo of the car it came out of.

The friend who is storing the engine for me is going to help me with the engine swap in about a month from now.

I have been unbelievably blessed with making some incredible friendships over the last few years.

New Engine.jpg

DSC02611.JPG

You're a great friend to have Steve.....you've come a long way.....I just love to see you getting into engines instead of just electrics. Wish I was closer....would love to wrench with you. That wouldn't be Jaffee would it? A Commodore and a Bull Dog....My, My.:beer:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diseazd said:

You're a great friend to have Steve.....you've come a long way.....I just love to see you getting into engines instead of just electrics. Wish I was closer....would love to wrench with you. That wouldn't be Jaffee would it? A Commodore and a Bull Dog....My, My.:beer:

Thank you, Guy. I've had some great mentoring from Philip @Blue, Tim McGovern and others. About every time Tim is helping me, I watch his technique and make inventories of the tools he uses to make a shopping list for my tool chests. Fortunately Wendy hasn't made a direct correlation between Tim's visits and my tool purchases.

Yes, that's Randy's engine. He showed me a lot of the BRE parts that he bought last year as well as parts for his other project cars. The BRE stuff is like a time capsule. It was fascinating how they devised parts to stand up to the rigors of racing, yet remain serviceable.

I'll let you know when I schedule a Datsun day at the house. You can stop and Charles' (@Patcon) place and convoy down. Make it a long weekend. ;)

Edited by SteveJ
  • Like 2

Thank you, Guy. I've had some great mentoring from Philip @Blue, Tim McGovern and others. About every time Tim is helping me, I watch his technique and make inventories of the tools he uses to make a shopping list for my tool chests. Fortunately Wendy hasn't made a direct correlation between Tim's visits and my tool purchases.
Yes, that's Randy's engine. He showed me a lot of the BRE parts that he bought last year as well as parts for his other project cars. The BRE stuff is like a time capsule. It was fascinating how they devised parts to stand up to the rigors of racing, yet remain serviceable.
I'll let you know when I schedule a Datsun day at the house. You can stop and Charles' (@Patcon) place and convoy down. Make it a long weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Worked on fuel lines for the FI transformation . One of those jobs that works your core from crawling in and out from under the car. Making my own line bushings to replace the old ones . Had some old rubber/ plastic that makes for good material to make bushings. Using SS 3/8" fuel line that sucks for bending :)

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

1 minute ago, Zed Head said:

Isn't the ballast bypassed during Start?  So, it would be a running problem, not a starting problem.

Sorry, I have OCD without the O.  Can't help it.

In the 240Z it is. BUT you need to read the full story. ;)

I will say that whenever possible, I try to take the Dr. House approach: Patients lie. While not exactly lying, owners misinterpret things and leave details out. The owner thought the wiring was stock. It was not. I used multimeters and the FSM to eliminate everything until the answer was obvious and the results repeatable.

• Mike pinned and locked this topic