IGNORED

2 4 0 Z Uh Oh Project

disepyon

11 minutes ago, disepyon said:

I had bought a Firebird/Camaro Plastic Fuel tank a while back. I am still wondering if I should use it or not as I already have wiring for it and a replacement fuel pump for that tank. So to get my monies worth, I will most likely use it. Using that fuel tank requires me to remove the spare tire well which kind of sucks.

Would you still use it if it was free?  If not, then it's not "worth" it.

That tank probably won't fit -it's to wide. With your skills you could easily fix any tank. I went with a CJ5 tank but I wanted a centered tank to run dual exhausts-AND I wanted to be able to fill from the original door.   

• Like 2

A friend of mine wants me to do it just like you pictured. A neat way to hide it.  What is your friend using that car for, Drag or Circuit racing?

His will be a street legal tubular framed resto mod. Most likely an RB going in. He has a 370 as well so it won't be a daily.

10 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Something to consider. I understand getting rid of the filler on the side and I'm not trying to rain on your parade but putting it behind the license plate reminds me of Ford Pintos and a few others from that era. The filler tube would get pushed into the tank in a rear end accident.

For the  sake of Pinto history accuracy, the fuel filler was on the left rear fender.  The problem with the fires in accidents had to do with lack of protective structure around the gas tank and tank location that allowed it to burst on rear impact.  Court cases referenced the 1963 Studebaker Avanti as an example of the correct way to place and protect the tank for cars of that era to avoid external combustion.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Would you still use it if it was free?  If not, then it's not "worth" it.

Hehe, Maybe, I can be a cheapskate sometimes.

13 hours ago, madkaw said:

That tank probably won't fit -it's to wide. With your skills you could easily fix any tank. I went with a CJ5 tank but I wanted a centered tank to run dual exhausts-AND I wanted to be able to fill from the original door.   

Well I got the idea from previous LS1 Swap builds. The projects I looked at back then used the same tank I bought. Seemed to work great for them. However in my defense, this was before I started with the whole fabrication thing.  Interesting choice, I may check it out, thanks for sharing. I too want to run dual exhaust for me car. 

12 hours ago, wheee! said:

His will be a street legal tubular framed resto mod. Most likely an RB going in. He has a 370 as well so it won't be a daily.

Sounds like it will be an awesome car when all said and done. I wanted to put in an RB, but back then I couldnt afford it, so i bought this LS1 engine locally from a guy in a nearby town. He wrecked his 2002 Camaro SS back in 2003 I think, if my memory serves me right and pulled the engine with drive train and stored it in his shop for many years till I came along to buy it. For the most part the engine internals are in good shape, however the cylinder walls and crank need some attention from the machine shop, shouldnt be much but still enough to need a little work done. 

6 hours ago, psdenno said:

For the  sake of Pinto history accuracy, the fuel filler was on the left rear fender.  The problem with the fires in accidents had to do with lack of protective structure around the gas tank and tank location that allowed it to burst on rear impact.  Court cases referenced the 1963 Studebaker Avanti as an example of the correct way to place and protect the tank for cars of that era to avoid external combustion.

Dennis

Thanks for sharing that information.

9 hours ago, disepyon said:
16 hours ago, psdenno said:

Dennis

Thanks for sharing that information.

My pleasure.  The gas tank in the Avanti sits between the trunk and the back of the back seat and above the differential with the filler on the "C" pillar.  In a rear ender, the tank won't get pushed into the differential and punctured as with the infamous flaming Pinto.  As we like to say about our Avantis, they were ahead of their time for 1963 - even came with seatbelts and a built in roll bar for crash protection.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up reworking the passenger side quarter panel.  I had to fix one of two dents at the very rear end and figured while I was at it, might as well do a better job than my previous hack job.

You all probably had enough with these quarter panels updates, but this will show you why not to give up and keep at it till its about where it should be for the painter. Painter should only need to but a skim coat of bondo and sand a lot of it off. Heck if your a true master of metal working, painter would only need some coats of primer then off to color paint.  If I welded better from the get go, I wouldnt had to do so much correcting, hehe.

So the dent I worked on was right next to the side marker. I forgot to take a pic, but found an old image showing it, can kind of see it in the below picture.

IMG_0010 - Copy.JPG

What I did this time to redo the areas where I welded and some areas of the replacement panels away from the weld was first remove all the paint from the quarter panel, then use the shrinking disk. Did some hammer and dolly work, then shrinking disc again and repeat till its where you want it.  Now the welded areas blend in a lot better than before versus if you look back at my older pictures. Also the vertical weld on the rear side of the replacement quarter panel blends in better too. I had to do some major dolly work to bring up some low spots, still a little low, but way better than before now.  My bad for the bad quick primer spray job, Damn nozzle was spitting instead of spraying paint, left some runs. 

As always a bunch of pictures from various angles to get lighting to show.

IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0015.JPGIMG_0021.JPGIMG_0024.JPGIMG_0026.JPGIMG_0027.JPGIMG_0028.JPGIMG_0029.JPGIMG_0031.JPGIMG_0033.JPGIMG_0034.JPGIMG_0038.JPGIMG_0045.JPGIMG_0048.JPGIMG_0054.JPGIMG_0056.JPGIMG_0058.JPGIMG_0060.JPGIMG_0061.JPGIMG_0063.JPGIMG_0065.JPGIMG_0066.JPGIMG_0068.JPG

Will rework the drive side tomorrow while shaving the antenna hole shut.

So I am debating now whether I want to shave the rear side markers. What are your guys opinion? Think it looks better with those huge things on or off?

Edited by disepyon

It's nice to have markers.  If you don't like the protruding Datsun stock markers, you can use front and rear side marker lights from a '90s vintage Hyundai which fit nicely in the existing space and are fairly flush to the body panels.

Dennis

6 hours ago, psdenno said:

It's nice to have markers.  If you don't like the protruding Datsun stock markers, you can use front and rear side marker lights from a '90s vintage Hyundai which fit nicely in the existing space and are fairly flush to the body panels.

Dennis

WOW THAT IS SOMETHING I NEVER KNEW! 

Thanks Dennis!