IGNORED

2 4 0 Z Uh Oh Project

disepyon

Haha, according to Coast to Coast Am radio with George Noory, Witches still exits doing the usual witch stuff. In fact one was on the other night as a guest, though he claimed to be a good witch...

Small Update, Lots of Pictures!

Got the Gas door opening welded shut on the passenger side. As of now havent decided where I want to place the gas filler at, just know I didnt want it where it was.

Started out cutting the flange out. Used the plasma cutter for this.

IMG_0011.JPGIMG_0001.JPGIMG_0012.JPGIMG_0013.JPGIMG_0014.JPG

Used the Belt sander to sand back the indention/lip back.

IMG_0015.JPG

What it looks like after all that.

IMG_0016.JPGIMG_0017.JPGIMG_0018.JPGIMG_0019.JPG

Made a replacement panel with the English Wheel. Put a band on the upper wheel and used a lower anvil with a radius similar to the panel. For those that dont know, the band is so the metal gets bend in two directions (left and right), prevents it from bending/shaping the metal front to back.

IMG_0005.JPG

What it looks like after a round of band wheeling.

IMG_0007.JPGIMG_0009.JPGIMG_0010.JPG

I then took the band off and wheeled metal to metal because I need a radius on the replacement panel left to right when on the car as the quarter panel isnt flat from left to right (has a slight curve). Traced out the panel, used the snips to cut it out, smooth out the edges from the cutting, then test fitted it.

IMG_0022.JPGIMG_0023.JPGIMG_0026.JPGIMG_0028.JPGIMG_0031.JPGIMG_0032.JPGIMG_0033.JPGIMG_0037.JPGIMG_0044.JPG

Tack welded in place.

IMG_0053.JPGIMG_0057.JPGIMG_0058.JPGIMG_0061.JPGIMG_0063.JPGIMG_0064.JPGIMG_0065.JPG

Welded, hammer and dollied,sanded down and coated. So I made a Slapper out of some scrap metal, the thickest I had. Feel dumb on why i wasnt using this before on the other stuff. Thing works great in bringing up the low spots and smoothing out the welding zones. This little project came out better than the quarters, the welding zones are a lot better and smooth. Still might could work on it a little more, but I am happy with it. One thing to note is the replacement panel I made is a little too curved (left to right) and you will see in some pictures how it bulges out slightly from the quarter panel. I suppose I could try to heat it up and cool it down to shrink it some. I used the pulse feature for this project on my Tig Welder, seem to help some with the welds but not much. Ill have to keep practicing. The crease will need to be made with bondo, I dont feel like screwing around with it. I still want to get some body filers for sanding, still looking up on some sites and deciding which to buy.

IMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0005.JPGIMG_0008.JPGIMG_0017.JPGIMG_0020.JPGIMG_0024.JPGIMG_0026.JPGIMG_0028.JPGIMG_0031.JPGIMG_0033.JPGIMG_0034.JPGIMG_0035.JPGIMG_0037.JPGIMG_0041.JPGIMG_0042.JPGIMG_0043.JPGIMG_0039.JPGIMG_0040.JPG

Will get the side markers shaved and work on some dents in the rear. Stay Tuned!

Something to consider. I understand getting rid of the filler on the side and I'm not trying to rain on your parade but putting it behind the license plate reminds me of Ford Pintos and a few others from that era. The filler tube would get pushed into the tank in a rear end accident.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmorales-bello said:

What are your plans for a fuel filler? Fuel cell? Fill via the trunk? 

I had bought a Firebird/Camaro Plastic Fuel tank a while back. I am still wondering if I should use it or not as I already have wiring for it and a replacement fuel pump for that tank. So to get my monies worth, I will most likely use it. Using that fuel tank requires me to remove the spare tire well which kind of sucks. The Fuel Filler location would have to be on the side somewhere to use that fuel tank. Just not sure where id like to place it.

1 hour ago, Mark Maras said:

Something to consider. I understand getting rid of the filler on the side and I'm not trying to rain on your parade but putting it behind the license plate reminds me of Ford Pintos and a few others from that era. The filler tube would get pushed into the tank in a rear end accident.

Dont recall me saying I would put it in the rear, but thanks for your concerns.  Just curious what would actually happen in a wreck, would anything catch on fire? or Just the Tank would get damaged from the filler tube? Come to think of it, I dont know of any race car of any type of race where the filler is in the rear, so there is probably truth on why its not located back there.

1 hour ago, wheee! said:

A friend has made his license plate a flip up filler location for his fuel cell. I think he has an American muscle car license plate unit mounted over it now. Car is still in progress.
IMG_4951.JPG

A friend of mine wants me to do it just like you pictured. A neat way to hide it.  What is your friend using that car for, Drag or Circuit racing?