IGNORED

2 4 0 Z Uh Oh Project

disepyon

8 hours ago, psdenno said:

Pictures of the Hyundai side marker lights are posted at:

One picture shows a marker temporarily installed to show almost flush fit.  As with most Zs, mine has been a never ending work in progress........ for the last 45 years.  When I got the Hyundai lenses, my plan was to use them.  I have since picked up a set of Datsun markers with clear lenses and colored bulbs that I'll probably eventually use after new paint.  Sorry for the picture and partial install quality, but it's a hot day in the desert and I didn't spend as much time getting the perfect shot as I could have a couple months ago.

Dennis

Those actually dont look too bad. Ill have to think about those. Thanks for sharing and taking time to post up pictures.

1 hour ago, disepyon said:

Those actually dont look too bad. Ill have to think about those. Thanks for sharing and taking time to post up pictures.

No problem, glad to give you something to think about.  I think they offer a clean look.

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

Another slow progress update.

So I am kind of mad at myself for not knowing what happened to the pictures when I reworked on the driver side quarter panel. I must of either forgot to take pictures or accidentally deleted them. But anyways here are some pictures I took before welding the antenna hole. The crease got a little banged up during the rework, tried to crease it back out some.

IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0018.JPGIMG_0019.JPG

The Antenna hole metal piece cut out and test fitted. I used tape to get the shape. Taped over the hole, then just marked on it. Peel the tape off then tape it on to a scrap piece of metal to make the piece to be welded in. Used my snips to cut it out, then fine tune it with a sanding disk. I marked lines on the tape so i know the direction to curve the metal piece as antenna hole area isnt flat and has a slight curve.

IMG_0004.JPGIMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0009.JPGIMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

Tig Welded into place. I used the pulse feature this time. Starting to get used to using pulse and liking it. I probably didnt need to add that much filler, but it all worked out in the end.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Welds sanded down and some hammer and dolly work, then shrinking disc work.

IMG_0086.JPGIMG_0087.JPGIMG_0088.JPGIMG_0089.JPGIMG_0012.JPG

Had to fix a sharp dent in the driver side rear. It appears that sometime in the past from the previous owner, that he either got hit in the rear or he backed into something that cause the rear metal bumper to get pushed into the rear quarter and leave a nasty dent. luckily it was right below the structural beam on the underneath of the car and I was able to get behind and pound out the dent. If the dent was covered up by the beam, then im not sure what I would of done. Probably would need something like a dent puller weld kit, weld on a rod, then attach the dent puller to the rod and start jacking it.....:P. The area right below the tailight in the corner is lower than the area I worked on. I cant get behind it and this would be a case I would need the dent puller to bring it out flush with the area I worked on. Only thing I can think of is make something that can reach back there from the inside of the car and use my slapper to help bring it back out.  

IMG_0013.JPG

Older picture of the dent. Dont have any good pictures of it other than the one above.

IMG_2514.JPG

Good as I can get it. Painter will either need to Bondo up the sunken part in the corner below the taillight to blend it the area i worked on or user what ever trick tool they got.

IMG_0024.JPGIMG_0026.JPGIMG_0083.JPGIMG_0084.JPGIMG_0085.JPGIMG_0029.JPG

Also had to work on a small dent in the rear driver side bottom corner. You know I just dont  understand why there are so many dents in the rear. I fixed two I or so think on the passenger side and now all these on the driver side.

IMG_0030.JPGIMG_0031.JPGIMG_0032.JPG

You can kind of see in on the back side.

IMG_0035.JPGIMG_0036.JPG

Smooth out.

IMG_0041.JPGIMG_0044.JPG

There was a bad rust spot on the driver side quarter panel in where the bumper would cover it up.  

IMG_0045.JPGIMG_0046.JPG

I used my plasma cutter to cut it out. Pretty angry with myself because I either cut to high up or I cut to hot or maybe the angle I was holding the torch while cutting, but it ended up cutting a hold in the quarter panel support. Made more work for myself than needed.

IMG_0047.JPGIMG_0048.JPGIMG_0050.JPG

Belt sander used to smooth out the holes.

IMG_0051.JPGIMG_0052.JPGIMG_0053.JPG

Used the tape method again to getting the shape needed.

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

Welded in.

IMG_0057.JPGIMG_0060.JPGIMG_0063.JPG

Smooth out.

IMG_0068.JPGIMG_0069.JPG

My replacement piece for the support bracket. Used my magnetic sheet metal bender.

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0076.JPGIMG_0078.JPGIMG_0081.JPGIMG_0082.JPG

Now I just need to trim it to fit and weld it in. Will do that tomorrow.

Dents, antenna hole, and rust spot fixed.

IMG_0091.JPG

Now I can start getting those quarter flares mounted and panels trimmed out so i can make the inner wheel well.

Stay Tuned!!

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

This is a prime example of what is achieveable. ABSOLUTE NECESSARY ITEMS NEEDED.....TIME.....DESIRE........TOOLS.....SOME MECHANICAL ABILITY, and most of all a TON OF COMMITTMENT. Boy I thought mine was in bad shape but this car obviously spent a lot of time in its youth north of the Mason Dixon line. Other than this young man's true mechanical skills the thing that impresses me the most is he kept at it even knowing his task would  be monumental. Most of us here know how reltively simple it is to replace and upgrade the mechanicals for they are pretty much plug and play. But to develope these skills, when you are not earning a weekly paycheck to do so is really top of the table in my book. Jobs like these can intimdate professionals but self belief concurs just about anything. After I finish work on my 70 I will definitely farm some panel pieces to him. Maybe if I am fortunate enough to enlarge my garage the use of an English Wheel and metal benders and TIG welder may find a home there. Great stuff indeed! STAY ON IT MAN! :beer:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Disepyon,  Great job of photo journalism - very, very helpful.  If you are producing panels, I'd love to connect.  I'm looking for outer sills for starters.  Please reach and, thanks again for documenting your journey!  Jughead

Disepyon,  Great job of photo journalism - very, very helpful.  If you are producing panels, I'd love to connect.  I'm looking for outer sills for starters.  Please reach and, thanks again for documenting your journey!  Jughead