IGNORED

2 4 0 Z Uh Oh Project

disepyon

I think I'd shave em. You could argue that you will be slightly less visible at night, but overall I don't think it'll make much difference, given that these cars are mostly toys now and not daily drivers. If you change your mind later on you could probably french something into the bumper without disturbing the body work. I don't find the side markers to be much of an eyesore though, unlike the huge crash bumpers the later cars got.

Edited by rturbo 930

2 hours ago, sweatybetty said:

+1  id like to see some

Hyundai Exel side markers.  They have the same wire connectors at the Z, so plug in easily.  The mounting screw holes are about 1/8 inch farther apart than the Z holes, so one new hole needs to be drilled.  They fit flat on the fender and only protrude the thickness of the lens - about 1/4 inch.  I'm currently away from home but will take pictures when I get back.

Dennis

5 hours ago, newtonhubcap said:

The engine bay frame rails, did you fabricate those or purchased. If purchased could you provide the vendor? I am in need of a complete set and was impressed with the construction of them. Feel free to pm me.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Thanks for the interest, will let you know If I decide to make them.

5 hours ago, wheee! said:

Zeddfindings in Ontario makes the frame rails for the front. I have them and they are very nice. Disepyon fabricated his own I believe.

This guy has the answer right!

3 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

I think I'd shave em. You could argue that you will be slightly less visible at night, but overall I don't think it'll make much difference, given that these cars are mostly toys now and not daily drivers. If you change your mind later on you could probably french something into the bumper without disturbing the body work. I don't find the side markers to be much of an eyesore though, unlike the huge crash bumpers the later cars got.

Yeah it would suck if someone side swiped you because they didnt see any lights on the car at night, which I highly doubt would happen. I had my front side markers wired to blink with the turn signal on, to better help others on the road knowing if im turning right or left when looking at my car from the side.

2 hours ago, psdenno said:

Hyundai Exel side markers.  They have the same wire connectors at the Z, so plug in easily.  The mounting screw holes are about 1/8 inch farther apart than the Z holes, so one new hole needs to be drilled.  They fit flat on the fender and only protrude the thickness of the lens - about 1/4 inch.  I'm currently away from home but will take pictures when I get back.

Dennis

Thanks for sharing, I would like to see an image with a Z having those side makers installed like everyone else. 

So Im kind of curious now. Looking at various pictures online of what appears to be stock datsun Z's from japan and perhaps other counties, they have no rear side markers, only the fronts. Was it only America that had the rear makers?

1 hour ago, disepyon said:

So Im kind of curious now. Looking at various pictures online of what appears to be stock datsun Z's from japan and perhaps other counties, they have no rear side markers, only the fronts. Was it only America that had the rear makers?

Yeah, European and Japanese market cars didn't have them. Not sure if it was just the US market that got them, but it was probably just the US and Canada.

To tell you the truth, I don't think the side markers will make much of a difference. How often will the light on the side of the car be the thing that alerts you to a car's presence? Chances are, if you find yourself in that situation, one of the two of you should be stopped anyway. Just another US safety nanny.

Edited by rturbo 930

On the shrinking disc thing... I bought a set last week a 9" and a smaller 5" and used it some today. That thing is so cool! It works like magic. One minute you have a dent the next its gone. Probably no filler needed. Makes me all grins when I use it...

• Like 1

Pictures of the Hyundai side marker lights are posted at:

One picture shows a marker temporarily installed to show almost flush fit.  As with most Zs, mine has been a never ending work in progress........ for the last 45 years.  When I got the Hyundai lenses, my plan was to use them.  I have since picked up a set of Datsun markers with clear lenses and colored bulbs that I'll probably eventually use after new paint.  Sorry for the picture and partial install quality, but it's a hot day in the desert and I didn't spend as much time getting the perfect shot as I could have a couple months ago.

Dennis

• Like 1