IGNORED

How Do I hate Rebuilt Components? Brake Booster

Captain Obvious

12 hours ago, Lumens said:

Wondering. For those of you that have taken a booster apart, how difficult was it to separate the housing?

Did you fabricate a tool like shown in the FSM to twist it apart?

Yes, I have done it. I did make up a tool for leverage. They can be difficult to reassemble. I found that squeezing the two shells together made assembly possible

19 hours ago, Patcon said:

I did make up a tool for leverage

Here's a picture of that tool, copied from 240260280's rebuild write-up on the old AtlanticZ website.  A pragmatic solution (and environmentally sustainable, too!)

image.png

That wooden "tool" looks very similar to what I did as well.

Mine's shorter though, and I screwed a couple blocks to the ends that I can squeeze together with my vise.  I lost leverage because my planks are shorter, but I gained force by being able to put it in my large bench vise.

My tool was similar but I used a piece of plywood in the center with 2x4 arms screwed to each end. About 5' long overall. I used some wood working clamps to squeeze it with the bottom half held by a vise. Lots of leverage