IGNORED

Float-Sync

Randalla

If any of you are interested in a set, Private Message me. I can do a little better on the price, outside of an eBay sale. Thanks for all the feedback received so far and specifically to Duffman for the user review.

Have not yet tried that siteunseen. Should not affect the way the car runs because the float bowl lid is vented anyway. Not sure about them fitting behind the stock air box, but I will check and report back. My car is in offsite storage at the moment.

Great idea using longer hoses from the fuel rail to the banjos while setting the floats. It took me about ten tries for each carb to get them where I wanted, using  sight glasses, (2mm higher for rear carb btw) and had to pull the hoses off and replace them every time. At least the levels tend to stay put once they're set.

If you're concerned about gas running out of the sight glass and/or the vent, and it might in the course of adjusting the levels, you can run some tubing from the vents into an improvised catch can.

The level of fuel in the float bowls is the first step to be taken before making any other fine adjustments to optimize “runability” (other than valve adjustment). In my experience Float-Sync gets you to the baseline as quickly and accurately as possible.  

I learned, like most of us, the way to set float levels is to remove the float bowl lid and measure the distance between the lid and the top of the float when the cover is inverted. What I have since learned is how imprecise this approach actually is (in terms of optimizing engine performance) because of so many variables. Some of those variables include whether the carbs are being run with or without float bowl gaskets, how many turns down the jet nozzles are set, if the float valve is fully opening and closing, if the float bowl lid has short or long ears and if floats are intact and their buoyancy is the same in each float bowl and I’m sure there are a number of others. For those more fluent with SU's than I, what other variables am I missing...Bruce Palmer? 

Edited by Randalla

• 1 year later...
On 30/6/2016 at 6:22 PM, Randalla said:

I've been working on a new product for the last six months that I'd love to get some feedback on. I've always known getting the floats in SU's set properly, and knowing for sure they were set the same in both carbs was important, but the method of doing so always seemed imprecise and less than elegant. I developed Float-Sync to know precisely where floats were set and have a visual reference, without removing the float bowl lids. On three screw SU's, there's a threaded plug in the float bowl that can be easily removed to substitute Float-Sync.

The level of fuel in the float bowl dictates the level of fuel in the jet nozzle. This is a big deal for SU carburetors because the fuel level in the jet nozzle directly impacts engine performance. When the engine is running, a vacuum is created in the SU carburetor venturi that pulls fuel out of the jet nozzle, mixing it with air and drawing it into the engine. If float levels are adjusted too high, fuel puddles at the top of the jet, allowing too much to be drawn into the engine, creating a rich condition. If the float is adjusted too low, it's harder to pull fuel out of the jet, creating a lean condition.

A rich condition can cause plug fouling, poor fuel economy, gas fumes, diluted crankcase oil (contributing to blow by and reduced engine protection), and in extreme cases potential for an engine fire. A lean condition can cause the engine to stumble, back-fire, ping and run hotter than it should, creating the potential to burn valves.

Float-Sync allows you to see precisely where your floats are. You can see the fuel level, with the engine running, throughout the entire RPM range… all without opening the float bowls. You will never wonder again if your floats are adjusted correctly.

I'd be interested in your feedback and suggestions. I listed a few sets for sale on eBay yesterday to gauge interest. Thanks

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1161.JPG

Are you selling this set at the moment? Im interested in one of them

6 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

Are you selling this set at the moment? Im interested in one of them

I have a set of these, they came highly recommended. I have not had a chance to use them yet. I believe, from my research, these and a colortune should make it possible to put a great tune on the SU's. I would be glad to do a review once I find the time to tune the carbs.