IGNORED

1971 240Z rebuild

RS02

Here's my best shot. :D

Fuel injection cars have coolant running through a plate on the intake to heat the car up faster and all the cold starting stuff closes off.

5279.jpg

that hooks to the coolant entering the motor, one at the thermostat housing and the other at the lower radiator outlet, I deleted that from mine so they're plugged.

DSC01472.JPG

5271.jpg

A carbureted car has the coolant line running a little different.  Here's entering the carbs intake at the rear and then leaving out at the front, into the thermostat.

5273.jpg

5274.jpg

5272.jpg

I think your valve cover hose is connected to the front carb through the coolant opening.  I don't think that's all too bad?  I also think your thermostat housing is connected to the lower radiator outlet, I don't guess that's all too bad either?

ImageUploadedByClassic Zcar Club1464150648.917355.jpg52710.png

ImageUploadedByClassic Zcar Club1464150666.959909.jpg

52711.png

If it were mine, I'd get a plastic fitting for under ground sprinkler system or something similar and put the valve cover hose on back of the air filter like this new one

IMG_0522.JPG

Then I would plug the thermostat and the rear of the cylinder head and the carbs intakes like what I did after a bunch of reading

Well that's my effort explaining that now to see what you have.  The head number is under the front two spark plugs

5276.jpg

The block number is under the rear two plugs

5275.jpg

5277.jpg

I gotta go now, there's an old lady trying to walk across the street by herself.  ROFL 

DSC01462.JPG

527.jpg

DSC01459.JPG

DSC01460.JPG

Egg on face!  I never saw this picture.

ImageUploadedByClassic Zcar Club1464213930.248687.jpg

I don't think this will affect the way the car runs, only how hot it runs at.

You need to put a clear gas filter coming out of the tank and see if it's crudded up.  Fram G2 works better on a 240 in my opinion.

Then adjust the carburetors the best you can.  That's a whole other can of worms I don't feel like opening right now, it's Friday night and I gotta go daintcin'.  

Read through this thread,

Did something yesterday and I found out that the engine is not getting fuel. I got a K&N pump and will give it a try tomorrow.5748c9a28cdfb_ImageUploadedByClassicZcar Get the inspection light working! The switch seems to have some connection problem. I'm not sure about the intake heating solution, now the first thing is to start it. Then repair the fuel tank, then sort out a way to get all the tubing where it should go... I find only one hose for heater, and the intake doesn't have the fitting on the other end so if I plug it in it will just start poring out coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club

1 hour ago, RS02 said:

Did something yesterday and I found out that the engine is not getting fuel. I got a K&N pump and will give it a try tomorrow.

Are you sure it's the pump?  Your picture shows what looks like an electric pump on the fenderwell, feeding the mechanical pump.  It's too high to get a proper prime.  Electric pumps generally should be at or lower than the fuel level in the tank so that they don't have to pull the fuel.  They're designed to push.

You could probably just remount that pump lower if you find that it actually works.  Your mechanical pump should also be enough to get you going.  You have a lot of wrong there.

Are you sure it's the pump?  Your picture shows what looks like an electric pump on the fenderwell, feeding the mechanical pump.  It's too high to get a proper prime.  Electric pumps generally should be at or lower than the fuel level in the tank so that they don't have to pull the fuel.  They're designed to push.

You could probably just remount that pump lower if you find that it actually works.  Your mechanical pump should also be enough to get you going.  You have a lot of wrong there.

Sorry I put the new pump there just so I can use it to test the engine. The fuel line is probably full with crap and I don't want the new pump filter to get stuck... Fuel tank also needs to come out because it's leaking somewhere.

I have found that mechanical pump valves stick sometimes. They can be opened up and broken loose. then reassembled. They tend to work fine after that...

I will check it out today. I tried to open the cover and it's all stuck together!

Be careful you don't tear the gaskets. There is a thread somewhere on rebuilding them and sourcing parts...

The valves seems stuck together. When I get it loose the pump seems to suck up fuel but is not doing anything. I use the electric pump to apply pressure, and it's leaking from the top. I guess now I will just use the electric one to get it started.