IGNORED

Gap in manifold-BackPipe Connection

TomoHawk

Higuys,

I noticed that there is a gap of about 3-5mm between the exhaust manifold flange and the  flange of the tail pipe. It's not an even gap (wider on one end.)  If the gap is expected, I thought it out to at least be constant.

Is that going to be a serious problem?  I could fill the gap with some high-temperature RTV sealer, or I could spend a bundle to get a better exhaust man re-work the exhaust (I was considering the Monza exhaust.)   Isn't there a spherical joint there, and you only need to tighten it to get a better seal, or just get a proper (thicker) gasket?

You're right, it should be parallel, and it should also be small, if any gap at all.  The flange gasket has two metal rings that do the actual sealing but after torquing the bolts, the gap closes pretty tight around the edges, to about gasket thickness.  Not uncommon for the header pipe to get bent if somebody runs over a curb or a speed bump.  I had a bent one that gave me problems for quite a while.  Found an unbent piece and replaced it.  So much better to have the parts aligned properly.