IGNORED

Source for OEM electrical connectors

the_tool_man

Hi all:

I searched here for the answer, and I Googled a bit for a source.  But no luck so far, other than Ebay, which has connectors that don't look the same as mine.  I noticed on my '77 (that I just bought) that the AFM connector does not seem to have any retaining means in the AFM.  If I unbolt the AFM, the connector falls out as soon as I move it.  I'm concerned the connector will fall out while driving.  Is there a source for a replacement connector, aside from getting an entire harness?  I can't even tell what is supposed to retain it.  But I assume this is not an uncommon issue.  Before I shell out $300+ for a harness, I'll explore a home-made solution.  But I'd rather replace the plug (or whatever retains it if that can be retrofitted).

Thanks in advance,

John.

Edited by the_tool_man

Sounds like someone ripped your piece of retaining wire out or it's just stuck in the open position.  The ends can get stuck open.  Actually that's the easy way to get the plug off, is to pry the wire ends out and get them stuck.  You have to put them back in to place before re-installing the plug.

I think that I've read that other brands of cars that used Bosch style air flow meters have plugs that can be interchanged.  Early Toyotas, BMW's, maybe Volvo or Mercedes.  

Forgot to say - the wire terminals can be pried out of the plug and reinserted in a new one.  No need to cut wire and solder.

Edited by Zed Head

There are two ways you can buy those connector kits on E-Bay. With or with out attached Pigtails. It actually may be easier to buy the kits without the attached pigtails. They come with all the metal connectors and rubber seals. You just cut you old wire off and crimp on the new terminal. juts like a Weatherpack terminal.  A good set of AMP/Weatherpack style crimpers is essential.

You also have to inspect how good the original wiring is and if you have enough slack left after cutting off the old terminal. As I recall, the AFM wiring doesn't have a lot of slack in it. Double check before you buy.

I have one 280Z that I'm repairing with the pigtails because the wiring is in poor shape. I'm going to solder new wires onto the pigtails, use heat shrink on all the joints, replace the horrible bullet connectors with Deutsch connectors and make new cover looms with TechFlex braided loom. A bit more work but will be a lot more tidy and reliable.

On another car, the owner wants to keep it looking as stock as possible and the wiring is in reasonable shape. With that one I will get the terminals without pigtails and just re-terminate all of the connectors.

The new style connectors with spring clips are a big improvement over those stoopid little wire clips that have to be pried off... then go flying into the Twilight Zone.

4 hours ago, the_tool_man said:

I'm not sure.  My connector has no wire, and doesn't appear to have any provision for one. I think it used some other retention method.  Good news about reusing the wires.  Thanks.

It is not very easy getting the old terminals out of those connectors. Just be warned it can be a royal PITA. Personally, if I was replacing all the terminals, ( which is a good idea ), I would not even consider trying to remove the old terminals and re-populate the new connectors. Why use old corroded terminals ( that are difficult to properly clean ), when you can put in shiny new parts?  It can actually take you longer to properly clean corroded terminals than to crimp on brand new ones. This is one of those jobs you don't want to do twice.

Link to DIY on removal of old clips. It's a fiddly job at best. Side cutters, a crimper and new terminals are so much easier:

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/injectors/connectors/index.html

Link to complete terminal kit without pigtails. One of the members from HyBrid Z  ( FricFrac ) sells these kits. I've bought a kit from him and it's very nice quality.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/103849-wiring-harness-repair-kit-eliminate-your-electrical-gremlins/

https://www.facebook.com/mackay.power.products

Edited by Chickenman

Another vendor:  Vintage Connections sells a pair of terminal removal tools (along with a full range of new terminals, shells, and crimping tools).  The terminal removal tools work very well -- much better than any DIY solution I could come up with.  Not expensive and highly recommended.  Same for their crimping tool (and don't try to do this job with regular pliers  -- the resulting mechanical and electrical connections be suspect and without a properly-formed crimp you won't be able to get the terminal to insert back into the plastic shell). 

As Chickenman says, it's better and easier to replace the old, corroded terminals than to try cleaning them up.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:52 AM, Namerow said:

Another vendor:  Vintage Connections sells a pair of terminal removal tools (along with a full range of new terminals, shells, and crimping tools).  The terminal removal tools work very well -- much better than any DIY solution I could come up with.  Not expensive and highly recommended.  Same for their crimping tool (and don't try to do this job with regular pliers  -- the resulting mechanical and electrical connections be suspect and without a properly-formed crimp you won't be able to get the terminal to insert back into the plastic shell). 

As Chickenman says, it's better and easier to replace the old, corroded terminals than to try cleaning them up.

So will the standard "Open Barrel" die set work on these terminals?  I just want to make sure I get the right thing.

I've contacted FricFrac about a connecter kit.

Now that I've read the terminal replacement tutorial, I see the difference in the connectors.  I also now recognize that at least one of mine (coolant temp sensor) has been replaced.  I noticed when I was debugging that circuit that the connector used the newer wire retainer, and that there was a bulge in the harness a few inches away.  I thought it might be a resistor installed to fool the ECU.  But it ohmed out with no resistance.  Now I realize the PO must have bought a replacement connector with pigtails and spliced it into the harness.

Thanks!

IMG_20160216_195311521.jpg

Edited by the_tool_man

On 17-2-2016 at 3:22 AM, Zed Head said:

I think that I've read that other brands of cars that used Bosch style air flow meters have plugs that can be interchanged.  Early Toyotas, BMW's, maybe Volvo or Mercedes.

Check the number of pins carefully when you buy these conectors for the AFM or ask the E-bayer to quote the numbrr of pins. A lot of the ones I came across are the 6-pin version like the 300ZX (N62) MAF sensor or the 5-pin version on the Bosch AFM 0 280 202 066

http://www.tav-autoverwertung.de/shop/Air-flow-meter-Bosch-0-280-202-066-1-705-7219-13-62-1-705-721-BMW-E30-325e-E28-525e

I picked one up from the internet. The type with a quick release spring that you can sqeeze to release the connector. A lot less fiddling the get the connector off with it under the AFM.

I bought a complete set off of Fric Frac to do my 280Z and I must say they are very nice. Very good quality, similar to my Audi terminals. Only thing lacking is rubber boots ( like Audi/VW, but that really doesn't matter as they have silicone seals on both the wire and the plug.

As for a Crimper, you need an AMP style. These are also called Molex or " W " style

Note the design of the crimping die:

AMP Crimpers-l1600.jpg

Edited by Chickenman

+1 on the good crimper - a ratcheting style is even better because you can't release it without full throw, which helps ensure you get 'em good.

i got my crimpers from Vintage Connections http://vintageconnections.com/ click on the "tools" tab - makes electrical work soooo much nicer.

don't waste your time with the hardware store variety, unless you want to do the job over again...

• Like 1