IGNORED

C.L. Parting out a 71

Mark Maras

Here's some pics of the dismantle project. 71 HLS30 39360, 8/71 build date. The left door glass, the left rad. support to fender well air duct, lower rad. support and misc. fasteners already have member inquiries.

I'll be removing everything from the body first and then taking the body apart ,spot weld by spot weld, with the intent of selling it all. Let me know what you need and I'll check on the quality. If you have a low bucks project like me, offer what you can afford. The only reason I bought it was because it's next journey was going to the crusher. Too much good left in it to see that.

DSCI0388.JPG

DSCI0389.JPG

DSCI0390.JPG

DSCI0391.JPG

DSCI0392.JPG

DSCI0393.JPG

DSCI0394.JPG

DSCI0395.JPG

DSCI0396.JPG

DSCI0397.JPG

DSCI0398.JPG

DSCI0399.JPG

DSCI0400.JPG

DSCI0401.JPG

DSCI0402.JPG

DSCI0403.JPG

DSCI0404.JPG

DSCI0405.JPG

DSCI0406.JPG

DSCI0407.JPG

DSCI0408.JPG

Bad news and good news. The bad? Worked most of the weekend clearing shop space and dealing with power outages caused by the wind. (Jai (RedBird) has christened the 71 "Parti Girl".) Late Sunday afternoon we finally got the last piece of equipment moved. By then snow and freezing rain had set in. Probably won't get her into the shop until this coming Sunday. It's the only day my friend has off and he has the truck to move the trailer with "PG" on it

The good news. The same friend with the shop has a 120v plasma cutter. He has cut 1/8"+ sheet metal with it. I think it will work just fine. If all goes according to the new plan, I'll start undressing "PG" next week. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the disassembly. The topside is done. Underhood, interior (except for the two rusted rear bolts on the driver's seat), dash, heater box, foot pedals, hatch, doors, fender, glass (windshield is not avail. oops!) & wire harnesses are out. Quite a  pile of goodys. Got a start on the bottom.

Dropped the tank. I expected to see solid rust, but instead it has some shiny bare steel very splattered with something that resembles tar. The bit of liquid (varnish) in the bottom is black and has some flat chunks of a lighter color something floating on it. Like the skin on an open paint can. I wonder if someone treated this tank in the past and the coating went bad. I don't know how else there could be any shiny steel visible. I'll get a pic and we can all guess what it is. Next, pull fuel and brake lines, a few odds and ends, then the suspension.