IGNORED

73 240z help starting

Alan2fast

You have the dual points distributor, which is from a automatic transmission model. Not a problem, but you need to make sure you have a condensor connected to the set of points you will use. I only can see one condensor in the photo.

I suspect the black/white wire is for the oil pressure sending unit.

The wire for the oil sender is already in place

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Great that you goot it to run. What was the problem?

The wiring diagram shows the black/white wire is a switch +12V feed having two branches in the engine compartment. One goes to the voltage regulator, the other goes to the thermo switch to control the EGR and for automatic models the relay that selects which set of points to use.

It turns out the thermo-switch is in the passenger-side footwell on an assembly containing several relays and related devices. See the attached page from the service manual. A bit odd considering the wiring diagram shows it being attached to wires in the engine compartment. Anyhow, you don't realy need it unless you are required to maintain compliance with smog emission rules.

Thermo Switch.pdf

The popping is likely to be related to the tune-up adjustments. Have you done a complete tune-up? Adjust the valves, clean or replace and gap the spark plugs, set the dwell and timing, sync the carbs and idle mixture, an so on? Have you done a compression check?