IGNORED

Restoring a 1977 280z! (My first z car)

Jacob Grimm

Get a wrecker service to say they've had it for 90 days and want to sale it for storage fees.  There's a form they fill out, the state issues a title to the wrecker company.  They sign the back and you carry it to the title department with a bill of sale then a title comes back in your name.  Works in Alabama!

A few years ago my son bought an 81 RX 7 with no title. The car could be returned if we couldn't title it. Originally a Washington car that  needed an Oregon title. Started in Oregon DMV. They wouldn't issue a title until we had a Wash. title. To get that, we had to find the last owner and get a notarized release or he had to go to DMV and fill out the proper forms. We got lucky and found an envelope, under the seat, with a name on it. That person remembered a friend from the past that had an RX 7. Got a name. Eventually found the owner in Richland, Wash. Sent him a few dollars to offset the misery of a DMV trip. Voila. In no time at all (four months) we purchased a new Wash. title and immediately surrendered it to Oregon so we could purchase an Oregon title.

Titling that car was a major PITA and a bit more money than anticipated.

Put ALL your efforts into getting a title first.

In GA, anything older than 1985 is bill of sale, no title needed.  When I bought mine with a bill of sale and got tags I specifically asked about getting a title for it. The DMV was not the least bit interested and told me it was not required or worth the effort.

As far as selling in the future to someone in another state, that state would honor GA law so far as the title issue.

Well I have a bill of sale that I got with it, and its pretty easy to file a title 42(lost title) here in Oklahoma. Only costs about 50 bucks.

But here's the thing... Based on what you said before " The title is lost, and he said he did some research on the title and it hasn't been titled since 1978 in Florida."   The problem is there IS no OK title to be replaced.  Oklahoma cannot and will not replace an old Florida title.  Only Florida can do that.

So say you get in touch with the DOT in Florida and verify that the car is still currently titled in FL, you could maybe apply for a replacement title from FL (assuming they'll send one to someone other than the currently listed owner of the car). But even in the event that you can get a new copy of the old Florida title, then you still have another problem and that is unless the name of the guy who signed your bill of sale is the same name as what's on that replacement title, then as far as the OK DOT is concerned, you bought it off someone who didn't own it. If the name on your BOS won't match name of ownership on the title it looks on paper like you were sold a car by someone who may not have had the authority to do so. 

I'm sure there are provisions for abandon vehicle reclamation or condemned property reallocations, but I know nothing about it in any state. I'm no legal expert, but I would certainly do some research into your options before you put a lot of time or money into the car.

One more vote for get the car titled first before spending more money.  I wanted to buy a 280ZX for parts from a guy on Craigslist, here in Oregon, but the guy didn't have the title.  He had bought two for parts himself, with no title.  He was a lawyer and he didn't want to spend the time to figure out how to get one, and he didn't know the process either.  I tried to figure it out and as far as I could tell you had to find out who had the last registration/title and get them to sign some documents releasing it.  They will be the registered owner.

I'd find out who owned the house and hope that that person is still alive.  You might not really own that car.