IGNORED

To Dream the Impossible Dream (Redwing's Z cars)

FastWoman

Let me do some digging today, I've got a '77 FPR and a couple of fuel gauges I could mail to Steve.  Also have a length of speaker wire with alligator clips on one end and battery clips on the other for straight wiring the pump.  When I put my fuel rail on I went with a '78 FPR, it only has 1 inlet and the return out.  The '77 has 2 inlets and the return.  Also have a cheapo adjustable FPR, but like Zed Head says it leaks down in a few seconds.

My lean running issue was figured out by a Datsun Mechanic from the olden days by clamping off the RETURN line to build pressure, he said it ran good around 50 psi.  :o

Put the potentiometer on and it runs like a scalded dog.  :D

That's something I've never seen, I love animals.  But I guess if Jelly got scalded somehow she'd run away pretty darn fast.  Maybe that's how people got rid of hungry dogs back in time?

I'll be back around lunch and will post up the pictures of what I have.  

Jai, find some big pieces of cardboard for laying on.  It's a lot better than gravel.  I get mine from a restaurant I work at, huge boxes for 32oz cups.  A quick shop would have some too.

Edited by siteunseen

Here we go.  I've got 2 high pressure fuel gauges.  One for putting in-line, the other for attaching a hose to and zip-tying it to my wiper arm to watch as I drove.  My "jumper wires" and a vacuum gauge set up.  

And (pretty sure) properly functioning FPR.  It worked when I removed it.  ;)

post-23570-0-42700800-1437910711_thumb.j

post-23570-0-50586400-1437910728_thumb.j

Y'all must have beenBoy Scouts, and I mean that in a good way because I'm involved in Boy Scouts. I've been watching this thread and I actually live about 30 to 40 minutes away from Jai. She mentioned that Steve was going to come up sometime this month and look at her car.I offered to help but unfortunately I'm out of town right now.

Steve, when you come back up to help with her car I would love to be there and offer assistance.I have tools and a car ramp but I don't have a fuel pressure gauge. I also have a FPR that was pulled of a junker, but don't know if it's good or not. I could probably fabricate a battery hold down before we go. Just let me know, I would love to help.

The next time I go up, I'm going to bring my ramps. They will work better on the gravel.

I would appreciate any help I can get, Greg. Next time I'll also bring my small air compressor and welder (to fabricate the battery hold down). I took my Z yesterday, but my wife said I can take the wagon on the next trip. I want to get Jai's car as safe as possible, so she can bring it over to my house for me to give it a thorough once-over. I can also put in on a lift and flush the brake fluid.

post-30236-0-26210800-1437933058_thumb.j

I got a ride in Stevens Beautiful, Throaty, Wonderful Z. Really makes me want to drive my RedBird. Hard to be patient, as she sits right there looking like an ice cream Sunday with cherry syrup on top! Yum.

My sincere appreciation goes to Steve for working on my RedBird, and going beyond. Considering the distance he travelled, the high heat and high humidity, he is just like the Energizer Bunny, on and on and on. I truly was amazed at all he did.

Also much gratitude for y'all out there for your wisdom and the presents of parts, including the FSM. I am learning alot. You know, I searched out an online group to help me with my RB. The local mechanic here was wanting to almost do a lobotomy on her. It scared me, I knew not to let him, or any other non Z mechanic do any work on her. My quest ended here at CCZ. I am so thankful that God showed me where to look for help. Y'all are great!

Now I am asking about when Steve comes back. Steve said his thinking is that the problem is in these suspicious parts.

1) fuel pump

2) fuel pressure regulator

3) EFI

Should I order these parts and have them on hand? Should one of them be the bad guy, for after Steve checks with the things he is bringing. That way he could just slip the new part in, and not have to come back another time to do it. I would then return any that are not needed.

Is that logical?

Thanks again y'all!

Have a great day, and if you live in the SE corner of the USA, stay cool!

The fuel injection relay is enough of a stretch that I don't see a need to order one at the current time.

Steve, If its still fitted with the JECS relay you can open them easily and clean the contacts. Mine was playing up and I did that and its been working the last 10 months and no issues.

I also have the bosch unit, but you can't open it without breaking the case apart. I have posts in a thread here somewhere with the two next to each other and the JECS open.

The bosch unit is readily available if it comes to that. It ws used on Mercedes 280, 300, 350 and 450, Porche, Alfa, Opel and Peugeot in the seventies. Ill post the part numbers later.

Chas

Edited by EuroDat

Ok, thank you Cliff! You are a true blessing for me and my Z. It will be so nice when I get to meet you and all the others that are helping me.

Steve, what about the fuel pump? Will you be able to determine if it is failing? If so, should I get one, like I stated before? If it is the culprit, I still won't be able to drive RB after you leave if it is not replaced.

This "trip" with my ailing Z is a real eye opener. I am so very amazed at all the wonderful help.

Steve, how do you like your photo? Looks good to me. You look very tall next to your Z. How are you feeling today? Left over gravel pains, heatstroke? It took it's toll on me, that darned heat. So I'm doing nothing today, just staying in the AC and resting. Maturity su<ks!

Jai

Jai

I wouldn't order anything Steve doesn't ask you to order. I have many of the parts he mentioned. Some are new, he is welcome to any of them for your car.

post-22019-0-56798400-1437942759_thumb.j

unknown intake manifold with FPR

post-22019-0-90684100-1437942825_thumb.j

new in box FPR unsure of application

post-22019-0-71107500-1437943046_thumb.j

post-22019-0-57548700-1437943120_thumb.j

post-22019-0-62905100-1437943180_thumb.j

Unknown fuel pump

post-22019-0-03096100-1437943366_thumb.j

• Like 2

Ok, thank you Cliff! You are a true blessing for me and my Z. It will be so nice when I get to meet you and all the others that are helping me.

Steve, what about the fuel pump? Will you be able to determine if it is failing? If so, should I get one, like I stated before? If it is the culprit, I still won't be able to drive RB after you leave if it is not replaced.

This "trip" with my ailing Z is a real eye opener. I am so very amazed at all the wonderful help.

Steve, how do you like your photo? Looks good to me. You look very tall next to your Z. How are you feeling today? Left over gravel pains, heatstroke? It took it's toll on me, that darned heat. So I'm doing nothing today, just staying in the AC and resting. Maturity su<ks!

Jai

I should from the tests. Basically, I should clamp off the return on the FPR. If the fuel pressure still drops, it is likely the fuel pump.

Once I got on the road yesterday, I cooled down nicely. I bought some Gatorade to drink on the trip home. Plus there was plenty of shade for the drive back. My left shoulder is sore today. It's about time I had some exercise. Of course, I helped my wife wash & wax her car this morning. It still had the bugs from the Memphis trip all over it.

I will post the pictures from yesterday, soon.

• Like 2

Jai

I wouldn't order anything Steve doesn't ask you to order. I have many of the parts he mentioned. Some are new, he is welcome to any of them for your car.

attachicon.gif20150726_150934.jpg

unknown intake manifold with FPR

That manifold is from a 78 280Z or a 79/80 280ZX. The throttle body has a nozzle for the pcv. The later ZX doesn't have it. It has the two connections in the rubber hose betweeen the throttle body and the AFM.

• Like 1