IGNORED

What do you think of the new 350 z?

Mike

Do you like Nissan's new 350 Z car?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Nissan's new 350 Z car?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

The true sign of how well Nissan designed the new 350Z, will be in the sales numbers when it is finally released.

My personal view is that for as much as this thing looks like a copy of another manufacture's car, you'd think Nissan could have dropped the base price a little more. Under $30k ($29,999) for a copy-cat of an Audi TT, Nissan? Get real!!! They should have gone with a more grass-roots approach and less "luxuries".

But then again my opinions are biased. I've loved the looks of the original 240Z since I was 4 years old and my Dad had his '72.

Some may think sales numbers will decide; although very important not a determining factor for a future classic. With much due respect to the later model ZX owners, if you haven't owned a Z then I would not expect you to know what I mean by soul. When Datsun->Nissan, an important thing changed. The important thing was management and respect for roots. Nissan management allowed themselves to be swayed from what Mr. K worked for and toward what the Neo-Nissanians (of another generation) wanted. Mercedes has more or less remained true to its motto, "Engineered like no other car in the world". Has Nissan done that? Not the way I see it. Instead of making history as Mr. K did, they became only a part of history. The ZXs are fine cars, generally evolved from the original design; but not I think, from the original intent (idea). I was 11 years old when I saw my first Z in a Datsun showroom. I never forgot about it, and thoroughly enjoyed my 71 510 because of its kinship to the Z. In 1992 my dream finally came true, to own a 71 240Z (oddly enough the same color as my 510). While many are in love with technology, I'm in love with an idea. The idea was promoted by a man I've never met, but many of you have had the honor. The idea formed the soul of what the Z is. When I sit my Z, I feel a close kinship to that past. Nissan had their chance to make history again, because this was the car and the time in history to. I'm sure it's a good car, but I don't sense the soul.

The car deosn't look as good as I thought it would, the trunk is I think a bad idea but probably more practicle for added room, we will have to wait and see if it's a hit when it's released on the market. I dont think it will have the same effect as the 240 had when it was lanched in the US, but hopefully it will do well and carry on the great Z tradition.:)

• 4 weeks later...

I just have to put in my two cents worth.

I love the chassis and running gear, if only they would leave the body off! It draws so many similarities to so many other brands that Nissan is made to look like it has no design studio. Don't they have one in California? The home to probably thousands of REAL Z-CARS?? In my opinion this is going to be a huge disaster. They should have hired the team that designed the S2000, and let them have free reign on the design.

Personally it offends me they use any reference to the Z car. This car has no resemblance whatsoever to a REAL Z-car!! If they had gone to a more retro look with the underpinnings this car has they would have had a winner.

I will be waiting for one to get totalled so that I might try to get the chassis parts under a REAL Z then rub Nissans nose into what they could have, or should have built! By real Z I mean a body older than 78.

Somewhere there must be one person designing most of the new cars today. They all look so much alike that it's hard to believe that more than one person would have such an abstract idea of what a car should look like. Must be some of those leftover party "favors" from the 70's and 80's are having their influence on another generation!!

When the 350 hits the market, there will be one (1) model under 30k.....Dealers have price lists already.....All they are waiting for are the cars.....Incidently, I am the proud owner of a 73 240z, modified a bit in the power and drive trains, but it is what I wanted in the car......The 350 is still on my wishlist.....

Yeah getting better all the time.

I was gonna do something with the lights myself, but It was getting late and I was tired.

Now maybe move the round z badge from the front fender to rear quarter pannel behind the window and do something about those damn ugly wheels.

Nissan should start a design studio in Australia and give me and Alfadog jobs.

Mr Camouflage

Anyone wanna buy my TX3 (323) 4WD turbo so I can get a 240z?

No thanks. I've already got the TX3 - turbo 4wd. Not much difference in performance between the 240Z ('73) with a head job and set of Koni's. Getting 100 bhp at the all wheels with 12 psi boost. I do miss the 240Z classic car feel though, the three gauges and the bonnet, ohhh yeh the bonnet.

Where's the love? Personally, I can't wait to take delivery of a new 350Z. I am also keeping my '72 because it reminds me of my first Z that I bought 20 years ago - I will also keep my '88 Z31 Turbo because it is quick and lighter than a Z32, even though it is often regarded as the red-headed step child of the Z family, I recognize it's inner beauty.

I'm going to pre-order my 350Z this week - a track model with everything except the mudflaps. My only problem will be deciding which one to drive!

Enjoy the ride,

Mike

• 1 month later...

I have been following the development and many changes of the new z for over a year now. Originally, I was very depressed by the overall design of the z. However, the latest and final version are just fantastic! The powerplant is awesome, the body styling has come a LONG way from a year ago, and the pricepoint is just where they said it would be. I ordered mine over 9 months ago hoping Nissan would do the "right" thing with the body as it got closer to production...and they did!!

I noticed one of the club members said he preferred some other vehicles to the Z (ie. s2000...), well, if you wait until August when I get my Z, I will tell you which one is better, as I have a 2000 Honda S-2000 in storage for the winter now. The Honda is one HECKUVA car, and it will take quite an initial impression to vote for the Z over it, but let's see...

The picture of the gold Z many people are using in their posts is not the final version. In fact, that picture is about a year old.

240znut

Originally posted by 240znut

I noticed one of the club members said he preferred some other vehicles to the Z (ie. s2000...), well, if you wait until August when I get my Z, I will tell you which one is better, as I have a 2000 Honda S-2000 in storage for the winter now. The Honda is one HECKUVA car, and it will take quite an initial impression to vote for the Z over it, but let's see...

240znut

Hey 240znut,

When you get the new 350, can you do a comparison of that against your S2000 and post your findings to this site? I'd love to see what you think.

[m]