IGNORED

01/70 fuel evap tank

Careless

So the car I have been restoring had a custom aluminum evap tank that was fabricated to replace the original one. I have not been able to cross reference as to whether or not the original is to be of a plastic kind or a metal kind. I am curious to know if the later model 71-73 or 72-73 (whichever it is), can work on the early 01-70's.

I believe the hoses I have are actually the OE hoses and look to be in OK condition, but as far as I can tell- those are also discontinued, along with the clamps on either ends of the hoses too, right?

The original one for your 1/70 was plastic.

The later metal ones will work, but the interior panel that covers the tank is different because of the shape of the tank, so you would have to use the later panel with it. Not correct for a 1/70.

Sourcing original hoses is difficult as several of these hoses have been discontinued by Nissan.

Arne wrote an excellent reference thread about refurbishing/ replacing these hoses---just do a search on evaporation tank refurbish and it should show up.

Also not correct---there is a lot of information on removing the tank and lines altogether.

The clamps are of several different sizes and will probably require sourcing as used parts to find them all.

Being a Canuk I think you would be well served by contacting Jim Karst (zKars)in Calgary---send him a PM. He knows early Z'z very well and may be quite helpful. Philip Pilgram (Blue)in Nova Scotia is another Canadian you should try to contact.

I am surprised that a 1/70 would have an evap tank. I am pretty sure that my 3/70 240Z does not have an evap tank.   I will double check when I get home tonight, but I do not think the panel in my 70 even has a 'bump' for the evap tank.

• Like 1

I just finished replacing all the vent lines on my 1972. This is the only oem vent line that is still available that I could find http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic17d05/11-3263

For the rest I used regular fuel lines in the various sizes as I wasn't too concerned with originality. I thought my original lines looked pretty good too, but they were all as hard as a rock so I decided to change them. There are a bunch of different solutions for the line at the back of the tank that has the tight 180 degree hook right at the gas tank that is NLA http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic17d05/11-3261

Some use plumbing fittings but I tried the EZ Coil suggested in this post and it worked great for me. http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/50423-fuel-tank-vent-lines/

Good luck

Edited by sdyck

I should have said----

"Your 1/70 may have had a plastic evaporator tank if it had one at all."

My reply was based on my experience with my 7/70 Z and 6/73 Z so I may have been in error by making that statement.

I have read that the very early cars for export to Canada had no requirement for the evaporation system. The US market did have Federal requirements, so the question in your case is may be "Which car do you have?"

Is your speedometer calibrated in KPH?

The gas tank this car came with has has two small hose connections on the front face with the sending unit, and 3 larger hose connections, one on the front/top, one on the rear/top- which is curved to the side, and one that is right off the side opposite of the fuel filler neck.

From what I gather, the owner told me this was an all original California car. But the evap tank was the only thing that came out of the car that wasglaringly obvious as an unoriginal item. I wonder if the tank itself was replaced at some point in time... Doubt it, though!

Are there any other tell-tale signs? Like something within the engine bay that would dictate whether or not it was part of the car to begin with?

Yes there should be a few things. If there is no evap tank there will only be a fuel and return gas line, if there is a tank there is a third line the same size as the return line. There would be a flow valve which the line attaches to mounted on the drivers side fender wall. As well the large vent pipe that comes out of the side of the block will have a small tube that connects to the flow valve and if it does not have the vapor recovery system there is no small pipe.