IGNORED

Early 240Z gas tank ?

oldhemi

I picked up a NOS gas tank with factory stickers and markings. :love: The part number is 17201-E4100

Main difference that I can see compared to my 260Z is that this one does NOT have the tube on the driver side for the long evaporator hose. I know that the return line circumference might be different, but I am running triple Webers and do not think that matters.

I plan on using Beandip's method of getting rid of the evaporator tank. So, this tube that is missing does not need to be mucked with which is a good thing.

Also, I think that I saw some threads that early 240's did not have this tube. I searched but I could not find this info.

Is this tank worth more to somebody doing a spot on resto? I do need a tank. I am very sure that my 260 tank's pickup tube is perforated. I really dont know how rusted the inside is. My 260's tank has no dents and most of the factory paint is on the bottom.

I would hate to use this NOS tank if it is a much wanted unit for 2 reasons: I could use ANY 70-74 tank and I could use the dollars if it is a rare, wanted piece. Once I use it, it is no longer NOS.

Edited by oldhemi

My parts catalogs and microfiche are out on loan, so I can't check the tank part number right now, but certainly would be interested in buying it from you if you do decide to sell it. The evaporator tanks were not a requirement in Canada in 1970. I have also been keeping an eye out for one of those front fiberglass valance panels you mentioned in the other thread. If there is a chance of the seller parting with it shoot me a PM.

Hey there Ron! Not sure yet what i have here with the gas tank. No problem for me to wait on you getting your parts book back. This tank might just be for non-evaporator cars which I did know existed until you just posted!

My wife thinks that I am nuts to even consider selling it!

According to my parts book, 17201-E4600 has the nipples for the evap hoses. 17201-E4100 is the early / Canada one without the nipples. 17201-N3400 is the one listed for the L26 engine. Sounds like you have a "rare" piece. NOS? Cool!

Thanks 26thz. Yup, its NOS. has scratches on the outside from being handled for so long. Has paint or some sort of coating on the inside - mostly. Looks like it was dipped, the paint is only half way up on the baffles. Since nothing happens very fast at Oldhemi's Garage, I'll contemplate on what do with it as I get more opinions. I would hate to use a possibly rare, desired/valuable part on my slightly modified Z when someone that has bucks wants it for a nth degree resto!

I want to take some pictures of the tank with its markings and sticker but our camera is still acting up. I used some of the money for a new camera yesterday on Z parts - more important right now in my book.

I have restored a couple of cars and most recently a 1969 Honda "Sandcast" CB750 and it drives me nuts when a chopper guy modifies a rare part when he could have used a later year part. I have most of the chopperhedz on hondachopper.com "educated" on this. I have had my 1970 750 chopper since 1974 and sure regret selling off my now-rare and expensive "unneeded" parts. I could have used some of those parts for the sandcast restore!

Edited by oldhemi

You are going to need the space for all your other new parts, so it might be best if you just sell that tank to me.:D I wouldn't want you to trip over it and risk getting injured. Not only that but I even have a camera that works and could take pics to post here. LOL

LOL, Ron! I stuck your name on it in case I croak before I use it. The mizzus will prolly sell it quick!

And if Ron (Geezer) doesn't take it, we could be interested. I'm putting

together parts to make the '70 original again if I should decide to. It is

VIN HLS30-06289, build date 6/70.

If the tank is for an older application than that, we might could use it on

one of the '69's, as we are getting a lot of "mud and crud" thru the fuel

system after their being laid up for 30 or more years.

If you should be coming to ZCON2010, we will be there for the duration.

All Z Best,....................................Kathy & Rick

remjr12241@gmail.com

And if Ron (Geezer) doesn't take it, we could be interested. I'm putting

together parts to make the '70 original again if I should decide to. It is

VIN HLS30-06289, build date 6/70.

If the tank is for an older application than that, we might could use it on

one of the '69's, as we are getting a lot of "mud and crud" thru the fuel

system after their being laid up for 30 or more years.

If you should be coming to ZCON2010, we will be there for the duration.

All Z Best,....................................Kathy & Rick

remjr12241@gmail.com

Rick, a 6/70 US car definitely would have had the emissions tank, so this would be the wrong tank for a stock replacement for that car.

Ron (Geezer), I have one or two spare non-emissions tanks that I saved from early cars that were parted. If this NOS one doesn't work out for you I'll keep you in mind if you are interested.

-Mike

I will try to get some pics in the next few days or so. I want to be clear that this tank does have a rather large nipple on the top rear(opposite the 2 fuel lines) that I would think hooks up to an evaporator tank or maybe the filler neck.

Does the non-emmissions tank have this nipple?

I am not really looking to sell it and kinda hope that its not a big deal to use so that I have one less item to look for! OTH.......

Edited by oldhemi

I will try to get some pics in the next few days or so. I want to be clear that this tank does have a rather large nipple on the top rear(opposite the 2 fuel lines) that I would think hooks up to an evaporator tank or maybe the filler neck.

Does the non-emmissions tank have this nipple?

I am not really looking to sell it and kinda hope that its not a big deal to use so that I have one less item to look for! OTH.......

There are some pictures of my non-emissions tank from HLS30-00210 in this old post if that helps http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=288184&postcount=32.

-Mike

This is an illustration of part number 17201-E4100.

I am always looking to better what I already have and will make an offer for this tank, as I'm sure others will also. Do I really need it? No, but it would be a nice addition.

Wow Mike, the tank for HLS30-00210 is in great condition! Also thanks for the offer.

Edited by geezer