IGNORED

Stolen 240Z

grannyknot

That really sucks, that is a nice car. I understand your reward completely.

I know this is too late now, but perhaps for others. A fuel cut off switch at the tank works great. Sure they steal your car but only get 6 blocks and it dies. they can't restart and then bail. 

You get your car back with some break in damage and a hot wire, but you still have your car. 

They would have to be top notch thieves if they come and tow truck your car away. Thats serious planning!!

I wish you the best of luck in the recovery Scott.

Also, pulling the rotor is a simple way of disabling the car. Who is going to have a spare rotor when stealing a car?

It hurts to read this thread!  What a beautiful Z!  I wish you the best of luck re-locating it!  If I see it here in Virginia, I'll certainly let you know.

FAIW, I have a defeat mechanism on my engine.  My biggest fear was that someone would take my car for a joy ride and trash it, but I don't have to worry about that now.  Of course it can still be stolen, but only by a tow truck or someone who is a lot smarter than most thieves.

I think a great way to create a defeat mechanism would be to wire a number of critical circuits (e.g. starter wire, fuel pump, ignition, EFI if you have it) via black wires (so there are no useful color codes) to a molex connector under the dash or perhaps in the ashtray compartment.  You would then have a mating connector you would plug in to correctly connect those various critical wires.  Carry it with you when you leave the car.  You could also add a couple of ground wires in the car's connector -- and perhaps the horn wire for grins, so any attempt to hot-wire the connector would likely result in blown fuses.

I hate that! I understand wanting the car back too. My first concern would be it being exported for sale. As for theft deterrents, all of those are good ideas, but how do you know it wasn't towed away. Just back up to it close the rear lift and drive off, 20 seconds max. A Lojack in a really discrete place would have been money well spent. If the Z on Craigslist for $65k brings any kind of money our cars will become bigger targets. They are easy to get into and easy to steal. They are also fairly easy to renumber if you have a titled parts car. As time goes on we will probably need to be more careful.

My condolences

Charles

A suggestion:  In their never-ending quest to make local news entertaining, the news stations in our area often feature stories about someone having had something sentimental stolen (e.g. a class ring), with a plea to the public for tips.  If the stations in your area do this sort of thing, your story would be well suited for local news -- a local man who lovingly restored the sports car he bought new when he was ___ years old.  If you add a personal story or two and a $10,000 reward, no questions asked, and you'd have a LOT of eyes out for your car.  You might just get it back.

• Like 1

From Scot's response on the Ontariozcar site ...

"Removed from a storage facility, regrettably not one with security and cameras, anytime in the last couple of months. The last time it was confirmed intact there was in January."

This is indeed bad news.  Still hope that luck prevails and it is returned to him.

From Scot's response on the Ontariozcar site ...

"Removed from a storage facility, regrettably not one with security and cameras, anytime in the last couple of months. The last time it was confirmed intact there was in January."

This is indeed bad news.  Still hope that luck prevails and it is returned to him.

If it is a typical facility, it's empty most of the time, and all you have to do is cut the lock to get in to anyone else's unit.  It could even still be in the facility, just someone else's spot.  He should put up his own cameras and he might catch a view of it eventually.