My wife's first car was a 240sx. She worked up to 4 part time jobs to pay it off. We had it in storage due to one of my military moves. It was undrivable due to sitting and thieves got a hold of it and tore off the whole front end and wiring. The car ended up getting totaled and she decided to let it go. Glad that in this case the car is in repairable condition. 

That is absolutely fabulous! I tend to agree the car probably got too hot to handle. Love it

C

I bet the thief lives within 50 miles of you and has owned Datsun's or owns one now.  

Ask the O.P.P to make a list of Datsun owners and have a quick look.

It looks like you were close to the mark.

That's excellent that he got it back! I'm so happy for him! Let's just hope that it only took minor damage during the whole ordeal.

I guess I ought to put some sort of theft resistant something in mine... I've never given it much thought, but it would probably be a good idea.

I like Fastwoman's dongle.

Yeah, I said that.

how cool is that?!? (the car recovery - not fastwoman's dongle, of which i have no knowledge whatsoever...) 

what an awesome story!

I too am glad the car was found -  was sure it was in a container on its way to Europe. I was at Whitehead Performance today and the Z is there waiting to get repairs - damage wasn't too bad and apparently insurance will cover all but the deductible. Damage was a broken drivers side quarter window, broken front spoiler, damaged drivers side door (dent, scratches), steering coumn totalled and in need of replacement and filthy underside and engine compartment - no doubt from being dragged into the field.  

Definitely an interesting story with a happy ending. I really hope they find the people who stole it. 

Did the finder get the $10k reward?

Although it is not mentioned in the Toronto Star story, I'll bet Scott took care of him.

Yes, I am taking care of Cody.  He is a really nice guy who wants no recognition let alone a reward and he guards his privacy.  Let's just say it's between him and me and I am happy to reward such a humble, non-assuming man and his family.

• Like 1

Here's the FW dongle description:

I think a great way to create a defeat mechanism would be to wire a number of critical circuits (e.g. starter wire, fuel pump, ignition, EFI if you have it) via black wires (so there are no useful color codes) to a molex connector under the dash or perhaps in the ashtray compartment.  You would then have a mating connector you would plug in to correctly connect those various critical wires.  Carry it with you when you leave the car.  You could also add a couple of ground wires in the car's connector -- and perhaps the horn wire for grins, so any attempt to hot-wire the connector would likely result in blown fuses.

I think that would work very well. You'd really have to know a bunch about Z's to defeat that. Especially in a short period of time.

Hey guys,

Our local Z club - OntZCar, had the spring swap meet today at Whitehead Performance, the shop that is doing the insurance work on Scott's 240Z.  Scott was there and his car, he spent the whole morning surrounded by guys shaking his hand and being congratulated. I doubt he had time to look through the tables of Z parts he was kept so busy.

I'm sure our minor celebrity wouldn't mind if I give you a bit more detail of the story.

Apparently, as far as Scott and the cops can figure the thieves never even got the engine running.

They smashed the D/S rear window, opened the car, smashed the ignition off the column (bending the

steering column). Then put it on a trailer and stored it somewhere.

Scott started his media blitz campaign, and had half the continent keeping an eye open for it,

the thieves, realizing the Z was far too hot to handle, backed the trailer into a field and rolled the car off.

It sat there for a couple weeks they think before eagle eyed Cody spotted it.

Scott says the odometer is right where it was when he parked the car in storage.

The cops lifted some prints, so who knows.

The car doesn't look too bad, some broken glass on the deck behind the seats, steering column banged

up, a chip off the corner of the front spook and a few paint scratches. The engine bay needs detailing

as a bit of rust started on the corners of things from sitting in a wet field. Insurance is going to cover it all.

I forgot to take my camera this morning but lots of images were being taken so I'm sure someone will post a few.

It was a very good day.

Chris

Admin Mike, I love the green ANSWERED stamp at the top of the thread,

very clever.

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1