IGNORED

'72 240Z Rebuild

siteunseen

14 hours ago, Patcon said:

I bent the handle on my leveler the first time I used it so, I double nutted one end and use an impart with a socket to adjust it with no effort...

The only other time I've used it to reinstall an engine was my 280, about 3 years ago.  I put the leveler in the middle and had that big front bumper on there.  It took me and my Dad, my next door neighbor and his father-in-law to push and pull that thing into place.  I see now why I was so anxious about doing this one alone.  But I know now to ask the group, everybody's got a trick or two, for the easiest way. :)

I used a one ton chain hoist from the rafters, and moved the car.  The beauty of the chain hoist is that it doesn't leak down, and it pulls much closer to itself than a come-along,and is very finely adjustable.  The rafter was a triple thickness beam at the intersection of two roof surfaces.  Very sturdy.  Although a 4x4 will spread the load across several rafters also.

Could I run a temporary hose from the cylinder head to the hose below the spark plugs, bypassing my heater core until I can get the hoses and valve replaced?  That way I think it would flow less through the carbs and have some circulation at the back of the head.  Anybody have any thoughts on doing it this way?  The yellow marking would be one hose.  Thanks.

heater core bypass.png

You should just block the yellow hose path.  The yellow hose would allow the pump to pull too much coolant from the back of the head, and less through the radiator.  Causes overheating.  Your carb manifold should have a thermostat anyway.  There was just whole discussion about it with jxq.  They're described in the Fuel Modifications book in Downloads.

• Like 1

Another question.

To static time? my dizzy I should put the pointer on the 10 degree BTDC mark on the pulley. Then rotate the cap until the #1 mark on the cap lines up with the center of the rotor button. I can take a Sharpie and transfer the caps #1 line onto the body of the dizzy and turn until the button lines up with the Sharpie mark, no?

Thanks for any help, I'm done lubricating the small stuff for today and am having trouble typing this as I've become blinder. LOL

"Where's my only cigarette?"