IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

In case anyone has been wondering if I dropped off the face of the earth, I have not! With COVID restrictions on car meets and stuff, I haven't had the car out of the garage yet. I am still finishing up some small areas of the car, like the rear spoiler, which should be finished this weekend.

I installed new side window glass for driver and passenger (Thanks @zKars!). Mine had some moderate scratches so I took advantage of the like new used parts from Jim. I also have been working on getting the doors to close properly without slamming, but have been having very little luck. I am hoping it is just the seals that need to compress and form properly, as this is not a good feeling having to slam a door three times to close it! I also pulled the power window motors out of the doors, as I cannot get them to fully go up or down without issue. I am sure it is an issue with the strength of the motor (no they are not SPAL brand but a knockoff). So in the meantime I will revert back to manual windows. I will order a newer set of window motors from Blaupunkt which seem sturdier.

Otherwise, I will get the car onto the hoist and inspect all the bolt torques, readjust the coil overs for even ride height, tighten up the fittings and lines (I have small coolant leak somewhere and a small brake line leak) and make sure its safe for its first trip down the road!

Insurance and registration are complete. Here's a fun fact: a 45 year old car that was last registered 13 years ago (same province) does not require a safety inspection in Alberta! Insurance and registration took minutes without any hassles. Love this province! But then again, I am scared of all the unscrupulous car owners out there that don't look after their cars!

PS: What do you think of my idea for a hood logo? I was thinking of making it in black and chrome: Thicker chrome ring, white lines are black, red lines and sun are chrome with a slightly raised chrome Z on top!

logo2.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

I love the logo. Have you considered t-shirts?

I had not... but anything is possible! I would like a hat with the same logo in black and chrome with the silver thread... 

The rising sun image I used is the one from my hood design (which I paid copyright to use) I do not have permission to use it for other advertising, so that's why I would like to do a line art version of my own in black and chrome...

• Like 2

A bit of a milestone last night. Got the rear bumper mounted and the hatch spoiler finished. 
I did the spoiler same as the taillight panels, matte graphite. I’m pretty happy with the look! The tall hatch seals spoil the overall finish but I hope they will settle in. 

C3B7B134-53BF-4BDD-BD15-58A40C837E35.jpeg

4C4F2C6D-7993-4307-A751-12AA2AD371A6.jpeg

• Like 4

I hope you plan on dyno testing that thing ! 
Your car looks fantastic . Very nice work . 
Without going thru the whole thread , does this thread show how you did your fusible links ? My buddy getting ready to do a Megasquirt on his 78 , which is much different than my 71. 

The 78 is a little different but the premise is the same. All the fusible links start with a hot from battery positive. I took a fuse block and fed each circuit to one of the fuses from the hot common. I also added relays for the headlights, horn and starter to keep current out of the dash.

So I did a quick spin around the block and was quite dismayed to hear a rotational clunk in the rear end. Not the load/shift clunk experience by most. 
I pulled the diff and tested the pinion torque, preload and bearing cap torque. All good. Tested the swipe pattern (with Kopr Kote, no it’s not rust!) and that was good in both directions. Backlash seems spot on. 

08E4D5DB-FF9D-4863-B9E0-25A279757AD6.jpeg

E132E819-0AAF-4936-84F4-E0FF937DB271.jpeg

After that, I inspected all the u joints and all the rear suspension bolts. All good and tight. Then I checked the alignment of the driveshaft and discovered the diff nose was off centre by almost 1/2” side to side. Realigned the diff tonight and checked with a laser to get it as close to perfect alignment with the trans output shaft. 
The driveshaft is a custom 4” aluminum unit with GM ujoints and has been balanced when built. 

frickin’ lasers!

4F5041B4-CABB-4174-B63A-7C23F0120EB8.jpeg

0085E16E-4274-4542-8F04-3A9D7E4D1D7E.jpeg

3C91DA13-2494-4D4B-B135-1311D53E7C72.jpeg

22520776-CBC6-449C-ABB1-3C6C1FCD67EF.jpeg

DDB5AAFE-384F-410A-9796-0FC814289757.jpeg

EB0EF95B-363D-43B6-A7AE-2328C5451C5E.jpeg

• Like 1