IGNORED

Thinking about installing an BMW M6 engine in my Z

grannyknot

1 hour ago, rturbo 930 said:

I don't doubt it's quick. What version of the S38 would have come in a Canadian M6? How much power is it supposed to make?

The engine I have is an s38b35 from an American M6 which was de tunned to 260hp from the Euro version, the NA version was quite constricted at the intake and exhaust along with a catalytic convertor and undersized fuel injectors plus a rudimentary  FI system.  So with the megasquirt FI system, oversized fuel injectors, doubled the size of the intake hole, eliminating the cat and installing 3.5" flow thru exhaust system I'm hopping for 280-290hp but I'll find out when I dyno it.  Also, Markus Glarner did the rebuild on the engine, he is one of a small handful of guys in NA that are considered qualified to tackle these engines so I know it was done right. The engine now has 4,500 miles on it since the rebuild so is broken in and ready to "deliver my list of demands":D

Looks like he's already got an airdam. What he really needs is a proper splitter and a rear spoiler. Something like this is what I'm referring to if you're not familiar: http://skillard.com/products/240z-260z-280z-front-lip-splitter

Beyond that, it would help if he closed up the radiator/grill opening to direct air to only the radiator, and to allow in only as much air as is needed. There is information on this in the Aero section of HybridZ that I think would be worth a read if you'd like to know more.

8 hours ago, siteunseen said:

What about the Xenon front air damn? It sucks my 280 down.

I'm kinda disappointed with that Xenon airdam, without addtional support it doesn't do much but bend. I would like to get one of these, S30-240z-260z-front-spoiler.jpgThey are in Australia and so far I can't get them to respond to an email, shipping would be a killer which is probably why they are not responding.

Skillard has done a very nice job on that splitter but because my steering rack has been lowered I would have to modify it to fit so I will have a go at building my own if I don't hear back from Topstage.

@rturbo 930, yes I have been through that aero section on Hybridz, fascinating stuff, I would like to correct the problem by conventional means first if I can, that gaping maw at the front might not be very aerodynamic but it does look great and I don't want to mess with the beautiful lines of the car too much. But I will have to get a rear spoiler not only for the down force but the exhaust fumes are killing me. During the resto I sealed every possible opening at the back of the car and I have the muffler tips extending way beyond the bumper and I'm still getting gassed with exhaust with the windows open.

Just finished reading your thread, thank you again for your help on mine.

What a fantastic write up and amazing commitment. I don't feel experienced enough to comment or advise, so I'll just sit here in awe :)

19 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Grannyknot keeps raising the bar... I WONDER WHAT HIS NEXT PROJECT WILL BE?

I was thinking the same thing. Might be time to start working on an all electric Z (My God, I can't believe I uttered those words). France is banning gasoline cars in 2040. Will Eastern Canada follow? The good news is, you could grill burgers on the charger. 

Grannyknot I left that bottom  factory lip behind my Xenon and it gives it support against flexing. I do agree and like that one you posted better though. But for $150 ish I went with that xenon from jegs.com. it doesn't vibrate that I can feel at 120mph. Hadn't been over that though, my wipers started lifting off the windshield around there so I let up.

I know you'll figure something cool out! Can't wait.

Cliff

IMO you should get into planes if your wife will allow. Personal one seaters that are affordable so I can get one. 8^)

1 hour ago, Jay. said:

Just finished reading your thread, thank you again for your help on mine.

What a fantastic write up and amazing commitment. I don't feel experienced enough to comment or advise, so I'll just sit here in awe :)

Thanks Jay, I appreciate it.

37 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Grannyknot keeps raising the bar... I WONDER WHAT HIS NEXT PROJECT WILL BE?

Maybe a real Ratsun this time,  Cliff has commissioned me to build him a Rat Rod out of this car but no money has shown up in my paypal account yet, that's strange.

$_27.JPG4.JPG

8 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

IMO you should get into planes if your wife will allow. Personal one seaters that are affordable so I can get one. 8^)

That would be a lot of fun, I have thought about it for years but I'm not as immortal as I use to be.

• Like 2