IGNORED

1969 HLS30-00182 on Ebay

EhlersRS

I wonder if the guys that write the sales pitch for the eBay ad know how sleazy they sound, or if they just can't resist? The more exclamation points and capital letters, the more suspicious things look.

"I am going to offer this car in as is condition one time..."

then what? Hurry, hurry, hurry, one time only, get your Z car here, one time....

Edited by Zed Head

Guys,

Good catch on the urgency to sell the car quickly! Bill, thanks for posting the photos from January. It doesn't look like any work was done by the current owner and he just wants to flip the car. I found several other 240Z's he sold this year by searching the phone number provided in the ad. Despite the missing and damaged parts, this car looks like it's worth saving. However, I don't think it's worth over $5K as the bidding now stands. Hopefully someone that appreciates early Z's will buy this car and restore it.

Robert S.

It's probably going to take a minimum of $25-30k to get this one "right", on top of the purchase price. That assumes the new owner does the work him/herself at $0 cost of labor. It's probably more if there's an attempt at "stock" or "as delivered". Costs can be reduced IF the new owner does all their own body and paint work, engine re-build, ...etc. Even though it's a 3-digit VIN, a $ break-even is going to be a tough road. Current bid is $5,300 with a reserve not met.

That car looks very much like 27th. Does it run? Jim, I think your estimate for restoration is way low however I think that restored to that 'as delivered' condition would yield what the restoration ends up costing, (labor comment well taken) or, break even. I'm anxious to see what it sells for. Perhaps one would consider restoring it to 'barn find' condition!

Good point. I just noticed that the eBay ad takes pains to not show the grill and front end of the car. Deceptive.

I sent the seller a question and he/she actually responded. Looks like a texter.

"I don't see any pictures of the grill and lower front end. Is there damage there? "

"no damage... grille and front bumper are in the car...

Thx"