IGNORED

Check your fuel filter!

ZCurves

A tiny, itsy-bitsy ray of optimism for Blue: There was a time, really long ago, that cheap crap came from Japan. Can China ever manufacture fine products like Japan has done for many decades now? There may be some chance, although I have my doubts whether it's in their culture.

Another ray of hope: There was a time, not quite as far back, that the US and Canada actually made stuff -- good stuff. And I think we could do it again in a heartbeat. My little (almost-antique) Saturn SL-2 is a shining example of the brief resurgence of US quality manufacturing.

I wonder whether the solution to this fuel filter issue is to place a clear filter after the main filter, so that (1) you can see what's going on, and (2) if the main filter ever craps out, you'll see a big pile of debris in the clear filter. I installed one of these long ago between the tank and pump:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Valmar-Marine-Universal-in-line-fuel-filter/_/N-275c?itemIdentifier=294531_0_0_

It seems to flow well enough and hold up well enough. I don't know whether it can hold up to EFI pressures, though. Incidentally, it's built so that you can screw it apart, clear the filter, and reassemble. I think it's constructed of polycarbonate. Thoughts?

Edited by FastWoman

Maybe better, if this one is really made of glass (seems to be), then for an investment of $65 or so, with a bit of fuel rail modding, you could have one inline with each injector -- function + bling. :cool:

Amazon.com: Bikers Choice Clear-View Glass Fuel Filters - Fits 5/16in. I.D. Hose 71424: Automotive

Part of the appeal of this one is that the fittings are actually made of metal, vs. the plastic screw-in fittings for the other one. The hazard is that it might leak, hence engine fire potential.

Edited by FastWoman

I have used both Nissan & Paraut filters. Very high quality, made in japan, and they appear to be the same filter.

I get the Paraut's from Autopartswarehouse.com, about $16 currently.

Just replaced the filter a month ago, didn't keep it or I would cut it open.

Also use Paraut's water pump, high quality & finish, cast impeller (no stamped steel on these babies).

post-21075-14150830036248_thumb.jpg

The instructions for those ten dollar glass filters say "not for fuel injection". For carbed systems they're good for diagnosing a dirty fuel tank. I don't want them permanently though. For one thing, there are six places they can leak: 2 hose clamps, 2 screw-in hose barbs, and 2 O-rings. I was checking out all the air bubbles in it (inline before the mechanical fuel pump), when I removed the filter and put a length of clear yellow Tygon in it's place most of the bubbles disappeared.

Maybe the ethanol was eating the O-rings.

They flow OK though. I have a good fuel pressure gauge, the pressure only went up about .1 psi when I removed the glass filter.

This is just a water cooler gripe session with no brand names or at least a memory of where it came from. "Maybe it's a Fram" isn't good enough. If he paid a cheap-arse price for a cheap-arse filter, who cares where it came from. Value received matches value paid.

Now if he paid good money through a reputable supply chain, like Autozone or O'Reilly's, then griping about counterfeits or the general decline of part quality is reasonable. But with no idea of where it came from, it's just complaining about a tummy ache.

That's a good warning about alibaba. Counterfeiting is a huge problem. That's why eBay is a "buyer beware" place to get products.

But still, this path is well-worn. Much more productive to show where it was purchased so people can avoid the same fate. Otherwise, it's just buy two and use one after cutting the other open to verify quality.

The first post, boiled down, is just "I cut open an unknown filter and found that it was of poor quality". That's all that's there.

This is just a water cooler gripe session with no brand names or at least a memory of where it came from. "Maybe it's a Fram" isn't good enough. If he paid a cheap-arse price for a cheap-arse filter, who cares where it came from. Value received matches value paid.

Now if he paid good money through a reputable supply chain, like Autozone or O'Reilly's, then griping about counterfeits or the general decline of part quality is reasonable. But with no idea of where it came from, it's just complaining about a tummy ache.

The latter part of your response is the point of the post -- including the discomfort.

I get it. I just hate to see the old generalities thrown out there. They don't get anybody anywhere.

Did you take a good look at the outside of the filter? Most manufacturers print some sort of ID marks on their products. It might be faint but it may still be there. Even just a part number will usually bring up a brand name on the internet.

I get it. I just hate to see the old generalities thrown out there. They don't get anybody anywhere.

Did you take a good look at the outside of the filter? Most manufacturers print some sort of ID marks on their products. It might be faint but it may still be there. Even just a part number will usually bring up a brand name on the internet.

Agreed. I will take another good look and see if I can find a P/N. It did have 'FLOW' stamped in black on the side, we'll see what turns up.

I was too late home from work yesterday after celebrating the release of a new product and team building after the loss of four colleges in MH17.

I found the old filter. It had a "Nissan" sticker, but its no longer readable. More alarming was the rattle it had when you shook it. Something was loose inside. I can't remeber it rattling like that when I removed it, but then I was more concerned with the water I had in the fuel.

Looks like the element had let go from the metal sections. Certainly wasn't filtering well like that. The filter is two years old.

Here are the photos of the filter and the contents.

Chas

post-26512-14150830043986_thumb.jpg

post-26512-14150830044568_thumb.jpg

post-26512-14150830045067_thumb.jpg

post-26512-14150830045554_thumb.jpg

post-26512-14150830045826_thumb.jpg