IGNORED

Check your fuel filter!

ZCurves

So in the process of converting to a custom fuel rail and changing out injectors, I was changing my fuel filter. When I got the filter loose it was rattling around and I am thinking crap, this might be the culprit of some of the fuel issues that I have been having for fricken forever. So I cut it open only to find out a small Chump-Azz filter that had come loose from the fitting. I believe that this was a Fram, but I am not certain. What pisses me off is that I don't go cheap on this kind of stuff - it is worth it to spend the $$ on good filters. Every one of you is familiar with the Z's fist size filter and you might think that surely it is stuffed full of pleated filter paper giving you full protection AND of course it is not going to come apart causing a blockage to flow. Check out the pics to appreciate my anger!! The first pic shows the cheap paper element and the exit to the Fuel Rail (red arrow) that was undoubtedly being intermittently blocked. The second pic shows that even the bottom plate of the cheap paper element came loose. The adhesive that they used completely failed. So what is the purpose of this rant? Well I think it would be a good exercise to have a couple members of the forum split open a few different filters to help identify which one(s) to avoid and of course get a list of truly high quality filters. But before you comment - split open a filter to make sure you weren't duped as I was.

post-7312-14150830003111_thumb.jpg

post-7312-14150830002652_thumb.jpg

yikes! i wonder if it was a casualty to ethanol? in the motorcycle world we've been dealing with all kinds of material and adhesive failures due to adverse reactions with ethanol. fuel lines turning gooey and popping off fuel pumps (they are submerged in the tank) fuel tanks made of plastic (the same plastic used for decades for tanks) warping and deforming to the point where they no longer fit on the mounting hardware, fuel pump screens turning brittle and disintegrating...

I still have the one I changed when I had water in my fuel at the beginning of the summer. Its an original Nissan or at least it came from Nissan in a cardboard box with their name on it. Can't remember seeing any Nissan part numbers on it, so they could be sourcing them elsewhere these days.

Ill cut it open tonight and see whats in it.

Chas.

tip of the iceberg.....fake mainland china crap is now getting into jets.... it is a dangerous world.

Business model: It looks like a fuel filter, feels like a fuel filter.... but ain't a fuel filter suckas.

oh yeah...Wall Street are luv'n the upcoming alibaba IPO so more crap to come.

Buyer beware when the >4 layers of amorphous supply chains are all trained in fak'n, lie'n , & cutt'n corners.

I still have the one I changed when I had water in my fuel at the beginning of the summer. Its an original Nissan or at least it came from Nissan in a cardboard box with their name on it. Can't remember seeing any Nissan part numbers on it, so they could be sourcing them elsewhere these days.

Ill cut it open tonight and see whats in it.

Chas.

It will be interesting to see what's inside. Surely Nissan would be the premium. Fingers crossed. Try to post pics.

One thing that I had going for me is that when I restored the Z, I placed a clear Fram fuel filter between the tank and the Fuel Pump. I had the tank 'Sloshed' and coated, but I wanted to make sure that nothing would contaminate all the new components down line. This is probably why the Cheap-Azz filter in the pic is relatively clean. Can you imagine the mayhem if there had been a bunch of particulate in the system?? I encourage everyone to install a clear filter right off the tank.