IGNORED

Best coil for E12-80 dizzy?

siteunseen

If you want to match the Nissan system specs. then about 08. - 1.0 is the range. You want to match the coil's resistance with the module's. Lower resistance might give a stronger spark but it will put more heat in to the ignition system since total resistance will be lower. Hotter coil and hotter module. There's probably room in the Nissan engineer's design safety margin for lower resistance. Your dice.

Copied a picture from the 1981 FSM.

I'm needing YOUR DICE, if it were your's what would you buy? 0.6 ohms, 1.5 ohms or 3.0 ohms? Amazon.com: pertronix coil

Mr Moore you make a good point. I was typing when you posted.

Edited by siteunseen

I tend to stick with stock parts on the highly engineered systems that contain multiple pieces, so I probably would have went to RockAuto and got a decent brand stock coil. Although in this case, I might use an E-core 300ZX ignition coil instead. ~1.0 ohms, so the module sees no difference, but with the newer, more robust E-core coil design technology. Although the oil-filled coils seem to last just fine, so who knows.

But, with your finding of a BB, you're kind of at a crossroad(s?). You can fix or replace the distributor breaker plate so that you can use the ZX distributor and module, or you could get a 280Z electronic distributor (like on your 77) and go with the GM HEI module, and an external HEI coil.

More stuff to think about. Maybe you'll get lucky and the BB came out with no other damage.

I ran a Crane PS20 on mine, after the Hardly used Flamethrower died.

After some reading, I get the E-Core technology Zed Head suggest and the tried and true experience of Arne. It's 1.4 ohms too.

Crane Cams PS20 Performance Coil features performance ignition coils. They feature Crane's special E-core design, which loses less voltage, so more spark gets to the plugs. The coils also have large-gauge wire windings for maximum spark current and voltage, with better heat dissipation at high rpm. An insulated connector and high-tension tower protect against high-voltage arcin. They are solid-epoxy encapsulated for shock and vibration protection. These coils are specially designed for use with capacitive discharge (CD) ignition systems

Amazon.com: Crane Cams 730-0020 PS20 Performance Coil: Automotive