IGNORED

Building A L28 (Na)

TheCrazySwede

Those jumpers look correct for the switching over to the internally regulated alternator.

The blue wire that goes to the charge lamp should be jumpered to the white/black wire that goes to the "L" terminal on the alternator. And the white/red wire that is tied into the alternator output voltage should be jumpered to the yellow wire that goes to the "S" terminal of the new alternator. If you want details of exactly what you are doing by making those connections, let me know and I can go through the theory.

And Zed, You're right. I sped across the wiring diagram too quickly and got two wires crossed. The most disappointing part about that whole brake warning discussion is that we've hashed it all out already when we were talking about alternator excitation currents through the field coil:

My older friends tell me that memory fading will only increase with age....
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:
Those jumpers look correct for the switching over to the internally regulated alternator.

The blue wire that goes to the charge lamp should be jumpered to the white/black wire that goes to the "L" terminal on the alternator. And the white/red wire that is tied into the alternator output voltage should be jumpered to the yellow wire that goes to the "S" terminal of the new alternator. If you want details of exactly what you are doing by making those connections, let me know and I can go through the theory.

Thanks a lot CO. Always appreciate your help and input. I followed Atlantic Z's post and it was all really clear (he even has wiring diagrams on his website) but I was just confused as of why the wires needed to be cut and soldered vs. jumping them the way I did. Seems to be working just fine! :)

1 hour ago, Zedyone_kenobi said:

keep up the great work man!

I enjoy reading your posts, and your pics are a real help.

Thanks bud! I have all of you to thank for my process. My pics aren't the DSLR quality stuff your posts possess, but it'll do :P 

Thanks again!

(As you found out) as long as you have good connections, soldering isn't necessary. I used tinned stranded wires of a gauge that fit snug into the female contacts. Probably the same gauge you used...

I ran like that for about a year before I rebuilt the entire harness to make those (and other) changes permanent.

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Like 1

So I think my borrowed Carbs might have taken a dump on me. Either that or it's the fuel pump, but I haven't had the time to check the pressure yet. I do know that the carbs have been running like crap due to the bad accelerator pumps. 

Engine cranks, but won't come on. I took the top lids off each carb and noticed they were covered in "cheese," as I like to call it. Not the sharpest blades in the Weber arsenal these lads, I'm sure.

At first I thought the carbs might have been flooded, so I cranked the engine for about 10sec with WOT to empty them out and then tried starting it again, but to no prevail. Tried some carb cleaner, but that didn't do much. At one point, I did get a little 

How much fuel is there suppose to be in the bowls? The floats are all properly set.

It had been raining pretty hard, so maybe the wet/moisture wasn't complimenting my dizzy or the carbs. I'll check it again once the weather dries up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...