IGNORED

Twin Solexes [Webers?]

Mark Maras

Among the goodies that came with a 74 260 that I recently purchased are 2 down-draft carbs, air filters, twin manifolds and linkage. The carbs say Solex on the side but a reliable source says they are Weber DGVs. As you can tell, I know little about them. I hope some of you out there are willing to educate me. I'd like any info and opinions. I was told that one of them needs a power valve diaphram otherwise they both appear to be in good clean condition.

Mark in Portland

There must be some truth in that statement. I've never seen a Z with downdrafts, but I still have a set and I'm curious if anyone has used downdrafts and would like to hear their opinion. Performance is my main question. They may not be as good as sidedrafts but does anyone know for sure?

Mark in Portland

They were sold as an after-market replacement, mostly for use in California and other states with strident emissions control requirements. They are rarely seen anymore. I am sure that someone knows how to set them up, but with the low hood on the Z the airflow path isn't very efficient.

I don't know much about them. I have seen them on a threw cars.

They were a common replacement for worn out flat top HMB-46W, the so called emmision carbs, on the later 240Z (series IV from aug 72) and the 260Z to get them through smog inspections. They are not an improvement when compared to a set of "good functioning" flat top or round top SU's.

You will no doubt here someone say something like "my car performs much better now I have the DGV's" but remember one thing that they often forget to mention. They are comparing them with a worn, poorly functioning set of SU's.

If you have SU's, then I would spend the money on them and forget the webers.

Chas

I must admit, I got a little excited when I heard the name Weber, In truth, I love SUs. I've never seen any other carb or carbs that will run trouble free for decades. At least, that was my experiece with them.

Anyone interested in the Weber DGVs?

Mark in Portland

• 2 months later...
I must admit, I got a little excited when I heard the name Weber, In truth, I love SUs. I've never seen any other carb or carbs that will run trouble free for decades. At least, that was my experiece with them.

Anyone interested in the Weber DGVs?

Mark in Portland

Got a pic? I'm curious if there different then normal DGVs. I would interested in if they were real cheap, I have DGVs but am having major seemingly unsolvable problems(I think its possessed) with one.

The DVG's have a CARB-EO exemption here in CA. Consider this: Its 1985ish and those square mouth carbs on your 260 just start showing their true value as a boat anchor. Due to emissions laws you cannot use an older style SU carb setup and if you wanted to upgrade to fuel injection you need to register it as an engine swap and go get the whole thing approved by a smog referee. Or you could buy the same weber carbs used on dozens of other cars with a known track record and simply attach the included CARB exemption tag and call it a day.

I have a set and they run the vehicle perfectly, I also never have to mess with them. No, theres no way they are better than a set of SU's but they are certainly better than the square mouth demons that came on my 260. The car is now smog exempt (though it wasn't until the mid 90-s) and I intend to upgrade to a set of SU's. heres a pic:

post-23586-14150828113482_thumb.jpg

I've actually always found the dgvs to be very aesthetically apealing, that said I might be about to buy a set of polished 240z carbs to replace mine. I wonder if these are actually solex carbs cause they made a 32/32 carb that looks similar to the weber, Iguess we'll see.

post-29883-14150828117739_thumb.jpgHere are the pics of the DVGs The PO said 1 carb has a bad diaphram. Unfortunately he didn't remember which carb it was. I assume it's probably an accelerator pump diaphram, but that's just a guess on my part. I don't have plans for them at this time, Maybe way in the future but I have plenty to work on before I start swapping carbs out of boredom.

post-29883-14150828115728_thumb.jpg

post-29883-14150828116457_thumb.jpg

post-29883-14150828117128_thumb.jpg

Yep those aren't DGVs, that accelerator pump is the middle, a dgv has it off to the side and on a dgv its actuated from the bottom. Have a pic of top side without an air cleaner?

I might be interested, mostly for the fun of it and cause I'm in need.

Edited by 2sixTZombii